High speed rattle on deceleration or engaging clutch

gone2long

On 5/4/2019 at 11:07 PM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Um... rebar holding the exhaust up, and your muffler shop guy didn't point that out? Yes, that sounds like something that would cause a rattle or noise.

You can't find exhaust hangers either? You don't need original parts. Any crappy hanger will be better than rebar.

Try these - https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/exhaust-hangers?sortby=Default&sortorder=Ascending&keyword=exhaust hangers&kr=exhaust hangers

The latest muffler shop guy didn't need to point it out.  I already knew basically what was under there, which was done originally in a previous muffler shop, about three years ago.  Hadn't looked at if for a while, so didn't remember exactly what solution was in place til I had her up on rails again recently.

Like being diagnosed with cancer or having a heart attack, deciding where your vehicle breaks down is not usually a matter of choice, as I am sure we all realize :  )

In this part of the woods, if she breaks down within 20 miles of some hut that might be called a muffler shop, chances are that, if the word "hanger" were actually understood, the next one of any make might be 200 miles and two islands away, in the closest big city.  That was the situation I was in when we originally used the rebar option.

Probably be a good idea to find somebody somewhere who could put it all back the right way,  using whatever hangers might be available, but like the old Navy saying goes, "If it works, don't fix it", and redoing the way the exhaust is hung is not an immediate concern in that  I am sure that the rebar connections are not causing the rattle.  They are welded on tight.

What do you think of the muffler shop guy's analysis, that the resonator caused the vibrating sound?  In any case, we will find out about that soon as I will take her on a 100 mile freeway test drive tomorrow.  Will let you guys know what I find out.

Thanks for your note,

G2L 

Edited by gone2long
added words
  • Like 2
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, a bad resonator could cause the vibrating sound, but so too could the rebar mounted exhaust. That's why I brought it up. Think about what's happening here. You have a long tube that is mounted to the engine (which vibrates) running the length of the truck and then mounted solid to the body, frame, whatever. The engine vibes are now transmitted from that tube to your body, which may be the vibration itself or may cause something else to vibrate.

When diagnosing a problem, you have to rule out all possibilities.

• Like 1