Wire harness

Soafanatic

I just bought a 85 Nissan 720 king cab and it runs and drives. My question is does anyone have a description of the engine harness and the connections? I have a few broke off wires and I don't know what they go to. I've tried to Google it but I can't find the info I'm looking for. My engine idles high like the choke isn't working correctly, my reverse lights don't work unless I twist 2 wires that are hanging together but then the lights stay on all the time, and I have to disconnect my battery when I'm not driving or it goes dead. There are no other lights on or anything that I can find to suggest there's an open circuit drawing power. I don't know jack about the electric side of cars so I don't know where to even start. Any help or direction will be greatly appreciated. It's got the 2.4 liter, and stock with no AC. It's a 5 speed 2 wheel drive. I really like the truck and just want to fix or replace what ever is messed up. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

• Like 1
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a small harness that travels past the starter and down the transmission. It has the reverse lights on it and maybe a few switches for emissions. The starter solenoid and the oil pressure sender are on it also.

Take the top off the air filter and look. Choke should close when engine is cold and you step on the gas pedal. Withing 5-10 min of running it should open by itself. The fast idle cam may be stuck. Spray the throttle area on the back of the carb with WD-40 and work all the linkages back and forth. Hold the throttle half open when doing this to release the interlock.

• Like 1

As a bandaid, go buy a switch from the parts store and hook those two reverse light wires to it.  Then you can turn them on and off easily.

You should be able to get a wiring harness diagram from three factory service manual (fsm).  You can try finding a copy of that online, starting here on ratsun.  See a thread in general discussion called "datsun manuals loads of them" or some such

• Like 1

The reverse lights are usually Black/Red stripe. Maybe they fell off. Maybe trans was out and owner forgot to plug in and then said fuck it. Wire may only be broken.

The reverse light switch is directly behind the clutch arm on the passenger side about half way up from the bottom.

• Like 1