1986 720 2.4 liter timing problem

jagman

I have read the posts regarding the timing on this site and have followed them. I replaced the timing chain having the engine at top dead center and lined up the chain markings as specified.  I replaced the oil pump and the distributor.  I have replaced the plug wires in proper firing order.  I am one position off the guide in the book for intake number one.  Do I have to play with the oil pump shaft to correct this or is there a way to change the distributor setting besides the standard twist.  The truck will run at top dead center but there is no way to advance it.  I have tried to change the plug wires by one position but then the engine won't start. What should I do?

What should be the advance be set at?

Steve

Edited by jagman
Ignorance
  • Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Z24 timing is 5 BTDC +- 2 degrees.

You've checked that the set screws for the timing adjustment on the underside are loose and distributor is turned fully clockwise? 

If you've run out of adjustment then you've run out of adjustment. Set the engine to TDC compression stroke on #1. Unbolt the distributor and pedestal and lift it out of the timing cover. Look down in there and you should see this...

caCNXMO.jpg

The drive spindle probably needs to be re-positioned more clockwise. To do this drop the oil pump and the spindle will usually fall out . Expect a few table spoons of oil to spill and have some rags handy.  Put the spindle into the oil pump and turn slightly and install. Keep trying till it is just before 11:30 like the picture.

the oil pump and the spindle above it

• Like 1

Datzenmike said let there be light at the end of your tunnel!  It is done!  The little truck hums.  Thank you for aiding the old, ailing and less competent owners of carbureted  vehicles.

• Like 1

Steve, now you know. These engines were built to be maintained and worked on by their owners. Do you have the factory service manual (FSM) for your year 720? I highly recommend it. They're cheap and usually on sale e-Bay for about 1/3 what you would pay a mechanic for an hours work.  

• Like 1

I bought a Haynes manual thinking that it would do for the basics.  I was mistaken.  At some point I will need some help on replacing the rear seal on the engine.  It seems to leak a prodigious amount of oil now where that wasn't the case before I blew the head gasket. I am hoping that it is just because it was on jack stands at an angle to the rear. Thanks again for your expertise and understanding!

• Like 1

Having the truck raised won't cause the rear seal to leak or fail. Before you do this make sure it really IS the rear seal. Oil likes to migrate down and back.

Valve cover gasket may be bad or put on incorrectly. Is the half moon rubber plug in the back still there? This would leak down the back of the engine and look like the rear seal.

Is it perhaps the oil pan gasket? Are the bolts loose? Snug them up but don't over tighten.

I would power wash the oil off and then use brake or carb cleaner and spray clean, let dry. Then watch closely to see where the oil is coming out.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I was speaking to a friend two days ago and he recommended that I change the PCV valve to see if that would help with the oil leak. I have replaced the PCV valve but haven't  yet checked the change in oil level.  The single pole sender near the water pump must connect to the temp gauge because now I have no change in the temperature reading. Reads zero all the time. I will get a new temp sender and see if that fixes it. 

Steve

• Like 1