Strange Electrical Gremlin. Blinkers...

heywier427

So I have had super slow blinkers for a few years.  Dont know why they started going slow.  Nothing has changed wiring wise since I built it.

Today I replaced what I assumed was the stock relay, with an led relay, as my tails are led (fronts are incandescent).

With the car not running, but key on, both blinkers flash at an acceptable rate.  Still a bit slow for my taste, but way better than the 2 sec. delay before!

With the car running, the drivers side blinker works as it should, the passenger side just stays on, but dim.  No flashing, just solid.

Change back to old relay, everything works as before.  Slow.

Any thoughts?

Should I try putting leds in my front flashers?  Maybe also try a standard/not led relay.  I checked the bulb grounds and they are all fine.  Gotta search for the stalk ground next.

Hmmm...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the original flasher unit, they are load dependent. They require a certain level of current flow to operate. If you add bulbs like towing a trailer they speed up, if a bulb burns out it will either slow down or not flash at all.

Old wiring, the turn signal switch itself, poor bulb or fuse connection or weak ground can increase resistance and lower the current flow, slowing the old style flashers. In this case the light will also be dimmer.

To avoid this there are electronic flashers that flash at a set rate no matter the load. Only draw back is the indicator in the dask keeps flashing normally even though a bulb may not be flashing. You would have to check by looking.

LEDs draw very little power and can act like a bulb is burned out.

• Like 1