Maintenance/General Questions

jboulukos

Is there a coolant reservoir for the overflow hose for the radiator?

My car has a loose gear selector.  For example, there is a lot of play in D and when I shift back to P, the car doesn't stay still or lock into place.  It is basically in neutral when I shift it to park, forcing me to use the hand brake to park the car.  Any advice on this?  How can I tighten up the gear selector?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, jboulukos said:

Is there a coolant reservoir for the overflow hose for the radiator?

My car has a loose gear selector.  For example, there is a lot of play in D and when I shift back to P, the car doesn't stay still or lock into place.  It is basically in neutral when I shift it to park, forcing me to use the hand brake to park the car.  Any advice on this?  How can I tighten up the gear selector?

I'm having issue with my gear selector too. Well, it was like this when I bought the car. Like I have to put it in neutral to start the car. Also, with trying to put in "P" it won't lock into place. Glad you brought this up. Didn't think too much of it, and just tried to get used to it. haha. Waiting for a solution as well. 

Edited by datb210sun
4 minutes ago, datb210sun said:

I'm having issue with my gear selector too. Well, it was like this when I bought the car. Like I have to put it in neutral to start the car. Also, with trying to put in "P" it won't lock into place. Glad you brought this up. Didn't think too much of it, and just tried to get used to it. haha. Waiting for a solution as well. 

I don't have an automatic so I'm just guessing...Have you looked to see if the linkage is possibly binding up or gunk build up preventing it from locking into place?

2 hours ago, Synestran said:

I don't have an automatic so I'm just guessing...Have you looked to see if the linkage is possibly binding up or gunk build up preventing it from locking into place?

Is the linkage able to be inspected from under the car?

16 minutes ago, jboulukos said:

Is the linkage able to be inspected from under the car?

I would imagine at least part of it can be seen going to the transmission from underneath but not sure how much since I have a manual and haven't looked at an automatic one. Based off of other vehicles with autos, I was able to see a portion of the linkages at least.

Jack car up and take a look. The shift lever has an arm downward below the floor with a (somewhat horizontal) selector arm connecting it to the shift lever on the transmission. Probably it's bent. Straighten and put back and it should be OK. There is a threaded adjustment where the shifter meets the selector arm for fine tuning of the shift lever indicator.(PRN21) Make sure the selector arm is straight.

• Like 2