Rudi's Aussie 260z rotisserie restoration: a Youtube build.

CroS13

Hey guys, my names Rudi, hailing from Sydney Australia, and for the longest time I've wanted a S30z,
Unfortunately, i kept buying Silvia's, but at my 4th, i decided, enough is enough, its time to buy a Zed as a project!
So my story to find the right car started about 3 years ago with a small budget. And as you can imagine, all the ones i had seen were in a pretty poor condition. I was starting to loose hope in finding a good car when i stumbled upon a barn on the outskirts of Sydney where a guy had about 6 zeds for sale, and i picked up the best of them.

It had a fresh paint job, but she was far from good, it was a bog and flog job. It had Crows feet all through the paint, and it needed to be stripped back to bare metal.

So i low balled him, and to my surprise, he said yes! 
I drove the car around for 6 months, fixing small issues here and there. In the back of my mind, i was postponing the inevitable, so i bit the bullet and started the tear down.

I decided to do the build as a Video Series, and i have made 5 so far over the last year. The first 4 Video's were done around 1 year ago. I had a long break after my last video as i tore down the old garage and built a new shed. but since that was recently completed i kicked off the build again! In my latest video i tried to mix things up a little and get in front of the camera more.

Its pretty amateur, but any feedback is welcome and much appreciated! 

Rudi.

• Like 2
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
Datsun Video Build update 3/3/17: - Removing all the seam sealer

Ok guys,Its been a while, so time for another update on the zed.

so when my panel beater mate came over to look at my car, he instructed me to remove all the seam sealer from inside the cabin of the car, as the sandblaster would not be able to remove it because it was too soft. It honestly took me the better part of a month and then some to remove it all.

When i finally thought i had finished, In the beginning of the new year, I went down to the local sandblasters and had a chat. 

Funny that i initially got a quote from them over 2 years ago, and the price was only $50 more than the old quote, so that was nice!

The old boy informed me that i should remove all the under body stone guard / sound deadener. He said he can remove it, but it will be extremely labour intensive and slow, and would add ALOT more to the cost i was quoted. 

So i went home and removed it all, which took me 2 months... what a job!

Anyway, here is the video:

Rudi.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Update 25/3/18 - seam welding done

Took the opportunity to seam weld or stitch weld the underside. Did the frame rails, little bit of the fire wall and the floor pans. That's enough for now.

Car is booked in to get blasted in 2 weeks time.

Here is the video of the work:

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Update 25/6/18 - Datsun 260z Video update #8

So i edited my latest video, mostly prep work before she got blasted, and some video's at the paint shop.

Fun times ahead, I'm exited!  however i'm still not convinced on who will paint the car, but i explain a little more in the video:

Rudi.

• 5 years later...