no brakes

slayer

ok so friday on my way home from work i lost my brakes. so i checked the master cylinder reservoirs and the rear one was empty. so i filled it up and i started to engage just for a second and then nothing. after making it home using the Ebrake the rear reservoir was empty again. now i am not sure what the two different reservoirs are for the most i have ever done with brakes is change pads and add fluid. in a bit i will be headed out to look at them. what should i be looking for?

thanks for your help

Edited by datzenmike
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The hydraulic braking system on the truck is divided into two separate sub systems. The front reservoir is for the rear drum brakes and the rear reservoir is for the front disc brakes.

An empty reservoir would indicate a massive leak in the front brake circuit. Have a look behind the wheels at the calipers and lines. Also look under dash by the brake peddle for wetness.

If you want to find the leak fill reservoir and get someone to push on the brake peddle while you look under the vehicle.You should be able to see were it is coming from.Its probably a steel brake line,but who knows.

There should be a third hose for the rear brake circuit....connects to a T on/hear the differential. Might as well replace all 3 (~$60) for peace of mind.

...and flush/bleed the brakes, front -AND- rear.

I very much agree with this advice! Those hoses are probably the original ones. If one failed, the others will soon. Next time it might be during a much needed emergency stop.

It is also a good idea to completely flush the brake lines. I usually put one of the large bottles of brake fluid through the system.

You can buy a Motive Power Bleeder or make your own:

If you Google, you'll find a number of them, but I bet you're thinking of this one:

Making an Inexpensive Brake Pressure Bleeder

I bought the parts to do this a couple years ago, but never assembled it. Gonna have to soon, though.