Newb Saying Hi and got questions on KA24E/620

Cobraguy

Ok so I've wanted a pre smog Datsun truck for a long time. I've found one that fits the bill and the guy is willing to swap straight across for my 62 Ford Falcon. The truck is a 74 620 with a stock 90 KA24E and 5spd (240sx donor) and D51 disc swap. Both of us consider our vehicle's $ value about the same. The truck is a clean straight daily driver. I'm going to look at it Monday 7/3. My questions to the forum are

1) What do I really  want to look at considering the engine swap besides overall quality of work.

2) Where does the rust hide

3) what kind of fuel economy (mpg) can I expect

Thanks Rich

• Like 1
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

do a compression check on engine.  If he says it was rebuilt ask for receipts. Rust will be floorboard, tire well/trunk, roof line, shock towers, check underneath of truck.  Fuel economy maybe high 20s. Good luck.  I used to have a 65 Flacon Sprint back in the days with a 289.

• Like 2

Welcome!

I think the amount of time the engine has been in the truck and running is pertinent. If it is a brand new swap, there may be bugs to work out. If it's been in there a while, ask the owner flat out, "hey, are there any bugs needing to be worked out?" Also ask who did the swap and if it's the owner who did it, ask what they would do differently.

The wiring and fuel system are notorious hack zones for EFI swaps so have a look at those two systems. If they look tidy, then it's probably safe to assume that who ever did the work knew what they were doing.

Sellers have a bad habit of talking, and you can find out a lot just by asking.

• Like 2

He had the swap done by someone then sorted the bugs. He has been responsive to all my questions so I feel he's as trustworthy as any other stranger. I am planning on bringing my compression gauge for sure. We live 100miles apart and are meeting halfway. If all is good and agreeable we both drive different vehicles home. If not the Falcon needed some highway miles put on it anyway.

My Falcon is a 2dr with a 250/C4 and 8" diff and power disc conversion. The motor has 10k on the complete rebuild. Paint is a month old, base clear Daytona pearl blue. Interior is just ok. I had tested the waters asking $6500 and got few nibbles but no offers.

The truck is straight with two quarter size rust spots one on a fender and of course a cab corner. Not scary stuff to me. He was asking $6000 on craigslist.

• Like 2

The trade didn't happen. The truck just wasn't worth the advertised price. Steve if your on this forum sorry dude. I didn't want to hurt his feelings but the truck was only worth $2500 in my opinion. It would have been a money pit. 

I'm still looking though so if anybody out there has a 620 with a KA or NapZ with 5spd hit me up.

• Like 1