280zx Struts/Brakes - no welding!

jovial_cynic

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

71-521, if you're looking for an upgrade, forget the old 68/69 struts. There's not much point in running them as you can't upgrade the rotors etc.... The 77/79 200sx struts now, you're talking bigger bearing so you can use the 280zx rotor etc.... The 280zx, well then you'll also need camber plates......

I've got a set of 83 Maxima struts I plan to use. I haven't seen anybody else using them, but they use the larger rotors like the 280zx. If I recall correctly, the brake is positioned ideally, so it doesn't interfere with anything else; no modification is necessary. We'll see for sure, though.

yes the Maxima is almost the same. Be sure to order brake parts specifically for the maxima. (rotor, pads, caliper seals) They are not identical to the ZX. maxima is a little smaller

The offset is a little different as well, i have use both 280zx and maxima on numerous 510s with many different wheels...

Jovial-What wheels do you plan on running, just out of curiosity.

71-521, if you're looking for an upgrade, forget the old 68/69 struts. There's not much point in running them as you can't upgrade the rotors etc.... The 77/79 200sx struts now, you're talking bigger bearing so you can use the 280zx rotor etc.... The 280zx, well then you'll also need camber plates......

If I get this right, then to avoid the camber plates, I need to use the 77-79 200sx struts and upgrade to the 280z brakes...

nice, but how much lower does this get the car?

69's get about an inch if I remember right...

280z's get 2 1/2-3" from what I've seen...but need caster plates and bump steer spacers... not to mention the perches need to be welded....maybe even TC rods

am I right?

Well, the beauty of the 77-79 200sx struts is that camber plates et al are not necessary. Lowering the car is about the same as the 69 struts, however, the big bonus is the larger bearing which allows the use of better rotors from the 280zx.

The offset is a little different as well, i have use both 280zx and maxima on numerous 510s with many different wheels...

Jovial-What wheels do you plan on running, just out of curiosity.

I've got a set of 14" gold honeycomb mesh wheels. I have no idea what they're called; I've never really paid attention to wheels. :: shrug ::

I've got a set of 14" gold honeycomb mesh wheels. I have no idea what they're called; I've never really paid attention to wheels. :: shrug ::

check the offset, the maxima struts will push your wheels out a little further. not too sure of the exact measurement. i can mesure up the difference between maxima and stock a little later this week if you would like.