New to the forum with my '79 620 Kingcab!

Kaesey

Hello everyone.

Recently, I was fortunate enough to acquire myself a sweet little 620 Kingcab! I have some plans for it in the long term, but one of the first things I wanted to get done was to swap the current automatic transmission with a 5-speed manual. I've read reviews and write-ups on this type of swap. I was planning on swapping the current transmission with an FS5W71B 5-speed which I've read is a direct bolt in if you have the L20B engine which I do. 

Is there anything specific I should know about this kind of swap or any advice anyone can give before I get started?

Any comments and pointers help! I'm not the most mechanically savvy individual around, so I need all the help I can get!

Thanks everyone!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need...

Clutch AND brake pedal box. Get the clutch push rod with it.

New clutch master cylinder.

Clutch hard line. You can make one up from a pre formed brake line and bend it yourself.

Clutch flex line. You need this from solid body mount to moving drivetrain, has to flex. You can buy a brake flex hose for this.

New clutch slave cylinder. (you will need a push rod from the slave to the clutch arm.)

Clutch arm and rubber dust boot

Shifter and rubber dust boot.

FS5W71B (the slave/push rod/clutch) are may still be on the transmission you buy... with luck, if not you will have to source these.

Pilot bushing for the end of the crankshaft. The input shaft 'nose' rides inside this bushing. (only $4)

Six bolt flywheel. Comes in 200mm for cars and 225 for trucks. Later truck and some cars had 240mm so pick whichever you like but the flywheel determines the clutch size that can be bolted on.

Clutch. Get with the matched release bearing collar for it. If there is one on the transmission that you buy, it could be for a different clutch size and will cause all kinds of problems later.

NOTE:

The automatic cross members are the same as the standards as is the rubber mount isolator soshould be no problems there.

Manual and auto transmissions are the same length so driveshaft should be fine.

Once the automatic torque converter flex plate is unbolted from the crankshaft there is a small cover plate on the very end that the bolts go through. This HAS to be pried off before the flywheel is put on.

Speedometer cable should fit and work fine but it's unknown what drive pinion is in the 'new' transmission. Automatic pinions will not fit the standards. What you want is a RED 20 tooth drive from a 4 or 5 speed but not from a '79 truck. With luck your 'new' transmission may have this in it. 

• Like 1