1984 200sx starting problems?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The starter does not turn the engine over? or the engine turns but refuses to fire up and run?

Additionally, is this even if you just drive a block, or is this only after the engine is fully warmed up?

He said it starts and runs, after he shuts it off it will not start til it cools down.

Run it again like you usually do, then when it fails to fire up, take the main wire that goes from coil to dizzy off of the center of your dizzy, put a spark plug on the end and crank the engine over, if no spark you found the problem...

I suspect the ignition coil, if you happen to have a spare swap it out and see what happens.

• Like 1

Hey i have a problem with my car and i need some help, my car starts and runs but when i shut it off it doesnt want to start for several hours, anybody ever have this problem? Its a Ca20e.

He said it starts and runs, after he shuts it off it will not start til it cools down.

Run it again like you usually do, then when it fails to fire up, take the main wire that goes from coil to dizzy off of the center of your dizzy, put a spark plug on the end and crank the engine over, if no spark you found the problem...

I suspect the ignition coil, if you happen to have a spare swap it out and see what happens.

Actually he does not say after it cools down.

Never assume. There is more to the ignition system that the obvious coil. It could still be ignition related. Check for spark as suggested. Could be the module in the distributor.

If you have spark, then it's likely fuel related and half the job is done by eliminating the ignition.

• Like 1

Usually if the module goes, it goes....but I imagine there's the exception to the rule ones....sometimes new coils are bad, happened to me as did to others, won't hurt to run that test anyway to be sure....like Mike stated "never assume" true statement!

A pic of your engine bay would be great too, sometimes we can spot something you didn't see...

The CA20E for that year had a NAPS dual plug design so if one coil failed it would still start. Chances of one coil failing is remote but could possible happen, two coils? at the same time? impossible. Module? I have worked with some electronic stuff and it can fail from heat but when it cools off it works again.

• Like 1

Module? I have worked with some electronic stuff and it can fail from heat but when it cools off it works again.

I have seen this with some frequency on gm ignition modules. No reason not to see it on a Nissan one.

• Like 1

I worked at a factory that made this electronic device and before they went out the door they went in an insulated box with a thermometer. (we called it 'burn in") They were turned on and left running. Internal waste heat quickly warmed them and all failed to work properly at about 120F but a pass was 110F. As soon as they were removed and let cool down they would start working again and were fine. Most offices were air conditioned but other countries were not.