First Start Troubleshooting - Only turns over in Neutral

***Update***

Just tried to start my 1974 Datsun Project Truck and here's where I'm at,

1. Have oil pressure and everything is turning over with nothing out of the normal.
  2. Have fuel to the carburetor
  3. No spark
  4. Engine will only turn over when the automatic is in Neutral

Any suggestions as to what I should try?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a 3 speed Automatic Transmission, shouldn't it start in park?

:confused:

Oops....you're right. Now I'm confused, but that's not unusual. :rolleyes:

Ahhhhh, I see you already have another thread started on the tranny wiring, so will stop.

Edited by ppeters914
No spark coming out of the coil wire at the distributor cap when I turn the engine over.

Has to be something simple...

:confused:

There is an "extra flex" wire from the points [assuming you have them, not electronic type] to a feed thru in the side of the distributer. From there, a wire pushes on and goes to ground. First make sure that ground wire is there and is pushed on tightly. If so, and it won't start, check continuity from the points to ground. You may have a broken extra flex wire. If so, you can temporarily start the car by feeling where the break is, wiggling the wire inside the insulation until they touch and hitting the starter. The current surge thru the points will weld at least some of the braided wires and the engine will fire. But you really do need to get that wire replaced. Several late model VWs have a point set with this extra flex that comes with the replacement units in the bubble wrap. Visually check for one and cannibalize the wire. As an untimate cheap side, cut the wire off an ignition capacitor that comes with the point set and wire it in. It is much stiffer, so you will have to fold it back on itself to allow for motion as the points advance and retard, but it will work.