620 rear gear ratio interchange??

joshiroku

ive got a 78 620 with a 3sp auto. ive put a smaller tire on it now and its not very freeway friendly. ive put feelers out for a 5 speed conversion but im not that mad at the auto. ive used the search function to gather info before asking the same questions over and over. is there a particular 720 h190 rear pumpkin thats a drop in for my truck?? i think a 3.90 would be a better solution at this point and possibly a faster and cheaper option to make my truck more texas hwy happy.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '78 uses the same 4.375 differential for standard or automatic so no significant rev difference.  A 4.11 or 3.90 will work if you don't use it foe hauling loads otherwise you WILL need those gears.

I think the '83 and up 720 2wd with Z24 were around 3.90.

It should but you said 3.90 ratio. If you have the truck, look on inner passenger side fender below the hood hinge for the engine tag. The gear ratio of the diff is stamped lower bottom right. Should say HF39 for a 3.90

HF35 is 3.545, HF 37 is 3.70, HF41 is 4.11 and so on. 

edit: yes the 4 or 5 speed '80 720 will have 3.889 (3.90) BUT NOT THE LONG BED OR AUTOMATICS

the '81-'82 with Z22 engine including long bed had them. BUT NOT AUTOMATICS

• Like 1