71 240Z 4 SPD Trainee Into 79 4x4 PU ??

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some parts will bolt up.  But I think the bigger issue will be getting a clutch pedal in the truck, the transmission will probably be a long tail one, and I would think a 4x4 truck would have an even shorter version of a transmission to make room for the transfer case.

The 240 transmission probably also has a relatively high first gear, "close" ratio transmission, the exact opposite of what a 4x4 needs.

I would not part out your 240Z, and look for a 720 pickup that already has a manual transmission.

• Like 1

The 620 4x4 was an after market conversion that used the stock transmission as far as I know. This means it's 31.5" long same as the automatic of that year. The early 240 had two 4 speeds 71A and 71B and both were the same length. (I believe) if you have one measure it.

Your 240z flywheel and everything back to the end of the transmission will fit the L20B as well as the clutch slave and likely the clutch master. As Daniel said you will need to source a pedal box or the two foot pedals at least.

I think I would rather have a automatic for weelin'. The auto '79 had better ratio differential anyway.

• Like 2