KA24 Speedo Cable

FrankRizzo

Hey guys. My truck already had the KA24de/5 speed swap done when I bought it.

Well...I figured out where my trans leak is coming form - the speedo cable...where is screws into the side of the trans. Th O ring must be bad. My problem is - I don't know how to even begin looking for the part. Do I go to rock auto and look for a 240sx? Anybody have any hints or or help?

thanks in advance

Pic:

speedocable_zps81uxhcnc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Mike.

I guess I'll start looking for a cable with a new Top Hat AND O ring. Mine is not leaking into the cab, only dripping on the ground.

It's still tough for me to figure out what to look for. Do I search for a 720 speedo cable? 

thanks (again) in advance.

Fixed the profile. Thanks.

Your link goes to a 720 thread, so thats why I asked.

I was not sure a 620 speedo cable would fit into a newer 5 speed trans, thats why I assumed I needed a 720 cable. OK, I'll look for a 620 cable, thanks. Bay here I come!!!

thanks again.

PS, Mike - you the same guy on the Vortex with the same signature pic? Inquiring minds want to know...

The '74 used a long 71B transmission the exact same length as the later 71B 5 speed so no cable worries. You have to use a 620 type that screws onto the speedometer in the dash. The 720 clips on.

Vortex? what's that? :lol:  Got a link to it???

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll get a '74 cable. I just noticed something yesterday, the speedo is stuck at 20 mph until you go over 20 then it catches up. Maybe its related.

There is a guy named  "sortafast"  on VW Vortex. www.vwvortex.com

His sig is:

giphy.gif

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7699281-I-purchased-a-very-fast-couch-to-daily-amp-keep-the-STI-garaged&p=93936777&viewfull=1#post93936777

you be him?

• 2 weeks later...