Front grill and tail gate

240dx

Im looking at an 85 4x4 Nissan 720 but its pretty beat up. I have an 82 Datsun front grill and tailgate. Would I be able to replace the "Nissan" front grill and tailgate with the 2WD "Datsun" parts? would they bolt up directly?

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '82 taillights are horizontal under the bed they won't fit an '85 which are up on the corners of the box. Only '85-'86.5 taillights will fit the '85 truck.

In March '85 the 4x4 grill changed dramatically but should change with the 2wd of that year and as far back as Nov. '82 or a couple of months into the '83 model year. At this time the side marker lamps changed and the rad support and valance. Will an '82 grill bolt in? might. Contact wayno http://community.ratsun.net/user/5657-wayno/ I think he posted some info on what will fit. You may have to change the hood also or something to allow it to work.

• Like 1

I believe that the 85 front core support has all the holes needed to relocate the headlight buckets an inch higher to allow you to use the 82 grill and side marker lights.

But you have to change the front core support sheet metal between the two fenders also, as that is shaped for year specific grills also.

80-82 sheet metal for 80-82 grill, 83+ sheet metal for 83+ grill, but it doesn't work the other way, one cannot use the 83+ grill on the earlier trucks, as they don't have the holes to relocate the headlight buckets lower where they need to be, at least the 1980 doesn't.

The fenders and  hoods, are all interchangeable, they are all the same when it comes to mounting them.

• Like 2

Good stuff wayno.

Once again I misread. Tailgates probably will swap but won't look right. The '85 and up have a rounded tailgate top while all previous have an outward facing lip. Doors are all the same unless you have electric windows. The inner metal panel is different.

• Like 1

That is correct.

I did fail to mention that the front sheet metal I am talking about is bolted on with 10mm bolts/screws, it is not the actual core support that needs to be changed, just the sheet metal bolted to it.

Also I forgot that the late front bumper will look a little different with the early sheet metal, the holes in it for radiator cooling don't line up, but it still looks good, lots of 720 owners put the later bumpers on the early trucks, them early bumpers look stupid unless you can find the rare thin type.

Here is a 1984 I sold with the 80-82 grill/marker lights, and sheet metal with the later bumper.

DSCN0119.JPG

Here is a photo of the rare thin 720 bumper that I think all early 720s should have had.

DSCN0811.JPG

• Like 1