Factory 620 Radio!?

I'm somewhat new to Ratsun and have been browsing for a while and have noticed a lot of talk about the radio delete plates on the "What did you do to your 620 today?" and am curious if people are just replacing their old ones or are removing their radios? Also, are decent quality factory radios in demand? I'm sure there is something about factory 620 radios out there but i have yet to find it so any input would be appreciated, Thanks in advance!

• Like 1
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I am a purist when it comes to Datsuns, the stock radios are pretty hard to listen to. Like the old 6 ply nylon tires that came with the truck it's ok to loose them and take advantage of today's new safer, stronger grippier radial tires and a nice sound system.

For a price the old radio can be gutted and new modern pieces put in.

• Like 1

Folks like the radio delete plate because they're fairly uncommon- most trucks had a radio installed at some point and the delete plate got thrown out.  It looks better than an open hole in the dash or having a non-operational 3-hole tape player in there, and some folks don't like cutting up the dash to put a DIN-sized CD deck in.  I know I don't, so any 620 I have with a CD deck, it goes in the console.  Used to be easy to find consoles in the junkyards as almost every King Cab had one, and any 620 after '76 with factory A/C did since the factory A/C used the old dash radio hole for A/C vents.  Many of the consoles I found had already been cut up for CD players so I didn't have to worry about destroying a pristine one (those are now hard to find). 

I only have one factory 620 radio left- my King Cab came with one, and rather than try to remove it just to plate it off I left it in and put the CD deck in the console.  Had to change the console since the '76 non-A/C ones don't have a place for a radio.  It was all fine until some dick stole the knobs off the factory radio, and I've only been able to find 3 of the 4 original type ones.  But only one of my 620s are like that, the rest have aftermarket 3-hole tape decks that I either bought when they were still available (like the Jensen in my '74 that I got in 2000) or ones I have had forever, like the JVCs I have in my 4X4 and my 520 (same model, even)- one was in my Dad's van, the other was a junkyard find.

• Like 1

Alright thanks guys! Just got my 620 about a month ago and have been looking at what some of the Ratsun guys have been doing for stereo systems. Mine is a '74 and i am seriously considering getting a console to hook something up in just haven't gone and gotten a console yet. Was just curious about the radio because I've seen a few for sale on eBay and wanted to know if they were actually desirable. Thank you for the feedback

Price is all that dictates how desirable they are. If they are pulling good money then they are desirable, but if they are cheap and you like them grab one. Years ago I had a chance to pick up a stock radio for for a 1966 hr holden for $20 and let it pass because I preferred the blanking plate now they are pulling $150 plus.