520 project and lots of parts

zatdane

I have a 66 520 with the J13 motor, not running, crank spins freely but been sitting for 20+ years.  

My dream for this truck is to build something reliable, quick off the line, low to the ground, and can still be used as a truck.  

Now I have only 1 question in 27 distinct parts.... 

I have a L16 motor that I would like to put in this truck.  I know I will need to modify the motor mounts and the radiator, anything else?

I have the 4 speed transmission that came with the L16 that I can use. I also have a 5 speed from a 280ZX.  Can I bolt these together and they work if I shorten my drive shaft in the 520?  

I also have the complete rear end from a 72 620.  Is there a benefit to swapping this in to the 520 as well if I can use the L16 and ZX 5 speed?  

I do not have a carb for the L16, can I rebuild and use the Nikki carb and throttle linkage that came on my J13 or is there a better solution with linkage. 

Or should I sell my parts collection and buy a semi-complete diesel 720 from the junkyard for $500.00 and do that conversion.

I am looking for some practical opinions, hopefully from fellow dat-nuts that have made these swaps.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that the L block will fit in there, but it is tight.

"Quick" means different things to different people, some would think that my 521 with an LZ23 was quick, and it is for what it is, but it is not quick compared to a Nova I had with a BUILT 350 in it, that thing was scary fast.

I have a 1966 Datsun 520 with a L20b in it, it has been lowered every way I can think of except for a body drop, now I consider putting the L block in it as a mistake, as if it had the J15 I have in it, I could do a body drop without having the top of the engine sticking out the hood, my truck is low, but if I body dropped it, it would look awesome low but not be dragging on everything, so if you want to do a body drop, leave the J13 in it.

DSCN3449.JPG

The L block requires engine mounts, transmission mount modification, you will need to use the 521 idler arm, as the 520 idler arm gets in the way, depending on how tight you are willing to be, you can get the L block in there and use the 521 radiator and the stock L block fan, but there isn't much fudging room left.

Using the ZX transmission is going to put the shift lever right against the bench seat.

DSCN0892.JPG

I have a 66 520 with the J13 motor, not running, crank spins freely but been sitting for 20+ years.  

My dream for this truck is to build something reliable, quick off the line, low to the ground, and can still be used as a truck.  

Now I have only 1 question in 27 distinct parts.... 

I have a L16 motor that I would like to put in this truck.  I know I will need to modify the motor mounts and the radiator, anything else?

I have the 4 speed transmission that came with the L16 that I can use. I also have a 5 speed from a 280ZX.  Can I bolt these together and they work if I shorten my drive shaft in the 520?  

I also have the complete rear end from a 72 620.  Is there a benefit to swapping this in to the 520 as well if I can use the L16 and ZX 5 speed?  

I do not have a carb for the L16, can I rebuild and use the Nikki carb and throttle linkage that came on my J13 or is there a better solution with linkage. 

Or should I sell my parts collection and buy a semi-complete diesel 720 from the junkyard for $500.00 and do that conversion.

I am looking for some practical opinions, hopefully from fellow dat-nuts that have made these swaps.  

Just leave the rear end you have in your truck, you can always put the gearset in the 72 in your 520 axle, it drops right in there.

Buy a Weber carb!

I also have a couple Datsun diesels, they are not particularly fast, but they get good mileage, but don't get/buy it if it smokes till the engine is warmed up, it should quit smoking in a minute or less when above 60 degrees, it may take a couple minutes longer if it gets below 40 degrees, I actually don't drive mine much anymore when it gets below 50 unless I am going for a long drive/trip.

Diesels are not for everyone, if you are in a hurry or want to drive quickly everywhere, forget it, the Datsun/Nissan 720 SD22 diesel is not for you, I have a SD25 diesel in my 1969 DatsunKC, it still aggravates me when I come to long uphill grades, the SD22 likes to go 50/60 on level ground and will get 30mpg plus, and 25mpg in the city, but if you want to go 70mph, it will only get 26/28mpg hiway, and any hill will slow it down to 50/60mph depending how steep it is, there are a couple hills on hwy 101 in northern California that I was in second gear going 25mph because the engine just didn't have the power to go any faster(1982 Datsun 720 with a SD22).

• Like 2