hitachi secondary

bonvo

my stock hitachi is having an issue the secondary isnt opening im going to assume this is why the powerband is flat after 4000 rpm i know it isnt onpening cause i was lookiong down the carb today and reving it and was getting nothing on the secondary bad daiaphram? if so where can i get another i have been driving it like this ever since i got the car i think if i open it up ill get better gas milage as well as power am i right? any ideas on how to make it work would be great thanks guys pics comming soon

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The secondary may just be stuck... pull the primary open and push up on the rod that goes up into the vacuum diaphragm. (round on top with 3 Phillips screws and is tapered on the underside) May just need to be moved to loosen.

The diaphragm has an internal vacuum orifice to make it work but if the diaphragm itself is torn or leaking it won't work. Remove the three screws and lift the top off.. watch out for the spring between the top and the diaphragm. You'll notice that beside one of the three screw holes in the body there is a small hole for the vacuum. Careful, there is a tiny spring with a ball bearing below it. Make sure they are there, clean and free to move.

That's about as far as I have been taking then apart. Someone could have rebuilt this carb and got solvent all over it and gummed it up... who knows? You can do this with it on the engine.