Finally found a 510 2 door, 1972

cl72wagon

Well i got the mazda 626 wiper motor in.  This is the motor I bought, its from an 87 626, went with a re-man cause i couldn't find one in a junk yard. 

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/A1C0/431467/03292.oap?year=1987&make=Mazda&model=626&vi=1189751&ck=Search_wiper+motor_1189751_3684&keyword=wiper+motor

20160130_084737_zpsiauvrnn7.jpg

I followed the Dime Quarterly how to for the most part.  Where i did it different is the arm that goes on the motor. Doing it the way i did there is no welding, which is nice because i don't have a welder.  in all I think this install took less than an hour. New motor below, This one faces the opposite direction as the stock wiper motor,which is nice cause it leaves a little more room.

20160129_140743_zpszwaaf7wk.jpg

Old motor

20160129_140746_zpsjyknz3qa.jpg

So to modify the mounting bracket I mounted it to the motor with one bolt, so I could see how much i needed to slot the other holes... Using the top single bolts centers the motor in the bracket pretty good.   I also had to space it out from the motor, i used a nut to give extra clearance.  The mazda motor has smaller bolts for mounting it to the bracket.  They are M5s not M6s.  

20160129_141410_zps7y8anmqo.jpg

20160129_141427_zpsrlu82jp1.jpg

Even with the nut as a spacer its close to hitting the motor

20160129_141423_zpsqzbjifni.jpg

here is how it looks fully mounted to the stock plate with the slotted holes

20160129_142324_zps70fg6dqq.jpg

20160129_142332_zpspyrnbfge.jpg

I followed the dime's how to for the wiring, sorry no picks.  Basically pull the wires out of the stock connector, be careful doing this because the plastic is brittle.  I just used a small screw driver to do this. And pull the wires out of the mazda connector.  Now follow the wiring diagram to put the wires from the mazda motor into the stock connector.

So now here is where I went my route instead of the way they did it on Dime Quarterly.  The stock arm on the stock motor needs to be taken off the motor.  Now you need to modify the Mazda motor shaft to accept the stock 510 arm.  I used my dremmel tool with a small sanding drum on it. Don't grind down the shaft to close to the motor, you want to make sure the arm will bottom out so it can be tightened up with the nut.  And when you mount your arm make sure it points to the driver side of the car.   So before grinding flats on it make sure you run the motor to make sure it stops at its home position, this doesn't need to be perfect because you can make up any errors when you put your windshield wiper arms back on.  

20160129_145609_zps9frnxooo.jpg

20160129_145604_zpso6urp0us.jpg

20160129_150306_zps6cwnjmip.jpg.

so here it is mounted in place, i must say that this mod was super easy and is completely worth it.  The video shows both speeds, but by this time my battery was getting a little low, so the fast speed doesnt look all that fast....  I have some power drains that i have to track down, so it doesn't take long for the battery to start draining......  Now the motor looks like its been in the car for a while, the coating on it sucks.  I took it out of the box and it was all scratched up.  I was going to re paint it but i am not concerned with how it looks at this point.  I will clean it up when i get around to painting the car.

20160129_151747_zpsgqncufog.jpg

Now onto the video....  

http://vid990.photobucket.com/albums/af22/c74nova/1972%20510%202%20Door/20160129_151507_zpsqoc5apq1.mp4

• Like 1
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job Chris.

We've certainly had plenty of opportunities to try out a wiper motor here this winter!  I hope it works awesome. 

SoCal guys are probably like "Windshield what now?"

thanks Carter, yeah by the time i got done with it yesterday it wasn't raining anymore...... but i am sure i wont have to wait to much longer for that to happen again.