73 "DOTTIE" 4x4 620 build thread

Hey Ratuners,I joined up last year when I put disc brakes on my dottie and could not get them to work good.I ended up taking her to the mechanic I go to when I cant figure out what to do,he had her for about 6 months messing around with her when he had spare time and told me finally it was the master cylinder but didnt know which way to go from there so I picked it up and started to look online for a solution,that is when I found ratsun,wow what a great wealth of info there is here I posted the question and within a hour I had the answer" get a 1980 zx master cylinder it will fit right on" it was that easy.So thanks for the help and everyone that post on here I read it constantly and have learned alot,anyway I decided to do some work on the dottie and things went alittle crazy because 2 months later and I am still doing stuff but I guess thats how it usaully goes.                 

here a pic of what I started with

B4FA5F8F-1D6D-4606-BFD7-34B546DF8B22_zps

• Like 2
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I think I got this bucket figured out.Anyway this what I started out to do the valves where ticking away so I adjusted them to having it just as noisy,I contacted the PO (we still keep in touch) and asked him if in the 450,000 he put on this truck and three motors later if he ever replaced the timing chain when he said no I knew what was making noise and I figured might as well do the clutch o I started pulling out the motor.

IMG_0796_zpsoweihcgh.jpg

• Like 1

So in the middle of all this my buddy calls me and says I know you like datsuns check this out he found on craigs list,it was listed under sss it did not come up under datsun motors or anything else weird uh,any way I am taking this with a grain of salt I know people usually think they have something cool but they dont so I go check it outIMG_0891_zps6i51y9xe.png

well I looked at the motor and had him pull the pan off and I see dirty oil on the sides of the pan( and I am in his apartment on the porch) so I said the add sounded like a new motor and this one had been run ,he said he put 1000 miles on it to make sure it was good.I know I know but it did look pretty fresh and looked to have some nice machined pistons water pump fuel pump flex plate so I bought it now just hope it runs decent.

now that I got going its hard to stop so I might as well keep going so I will add more goodies.I think I will maybe paint the cab and maybe make a flat bed I could use a tr.uck to get around the dairy fields around here and do some side jobs ,I dont know I will have to think on it.

• Like 1