My second Datsun ('80 720)

Scomber

My first was a 521 I had 15 years ago.  I brought my second one home today:  It's a 1980 720.  It's got the L20B, manual steering, and the AC compressor is no longer installed.  No great loss.

12004073_10205194555688299_2960897246971

I'm going to have to patch the rocker behind the driver's door, give it new brake pads, tighten the shift linkage bolt, and get rid of the mice in the vent system first.

It's got a weber carb that the previous owner said ran a bit rich.  My chief advisor tells me that the first thing to do is get a fuel pressure regulator to take it down to 1.5 psi, which is Weber spec.   Then a bit of cleaning and tuning and the carb should be okay.

The seats may have come out of a Camry.  The previous owner wasn't sure.  All I know is that they don't fold forward enough to get behind them, and I won't have passengers very often.  I may just pull the passenger seat so I can carry my equipment.

My other truck is an '86 Toyota 1-ton.  But this Datsun is going to be my winter truck.  

Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' batches!  

It still needs a name.

• Like 2
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no bolt to tighten the shifter. The plastic bushings are worn out. Replace them.

Webers are good for 3 to 3.5PSI Well withing the 720s electric pump pressure. If running rich...

Choke not shutting off

Float set too high.

Wrong jets...... this is the most likely as this carb was never intended for this engine.

Wrong setting.

Dirty air filter

• Like 1

I'm working with the Haynes Manual (yeah, well, it's what I have for now) and on page 7A-3, illustration 3.5a shows how on earlier models there's a pin that holds the shifter.  This pin is a pivot for pushing the control forks back and forth.  On my 521, it came loose, and once I replaced it, it tightened up the system considerably.  This is for early models of the 720 as well.  Mine was built during the Carter Administration, so....  I can hear it rattle.

Regarding the carb, I'll have to look at all those things.  I'll start with basic carb cleaner and go from there.

• Like 1

I'm thinking.  The seller said the Weber might need to be re-jetted.  And it needs a bunch of other adjustment.  And a lot of cleaning.  If I just want the thing to run right, does it make sense to just pay the $250 and get a new carb, rather than fuddling with the old one?

• Like 1

I'm working with the Haynes Manual (yeah, well, it's what I have for now) and on page 7A-3, illustration 3.5a shows how on earlier models there's a pin that holds the shifter.  This pin is a pivot for pushing the control forks back and forth.  On my 521, it came loose, and once I replaced it, it tightened up the system considerably.  This is for early models of the 720 as well.  Mine was built during the Carter Administration, so....  I can hear it rattle.

Regarding the carb, I'll have to look at all those things.  I'll start with basic carb cleaner and go from there.

There is nothing about the 521 4 speed shifter that is remotely the same on the 720.

I have the 720 Haynes manual also and can't find what you are referring to. Or do you mean the Haynes manual for the 521???

Here's what you should be looking at on your 720 shifter...

doglegshiftoptions004Large.jpg

5speedfor710goon010Large.jpg

The 'pin' is secured with an E clip shown below on the far left. Ignore the shifters they are for later models. Not the plastic ends. You need new ones of those also. Called Control Lever Bushing

shifters001Large.jpg

You CANNOT use a bolt and just tighten the two sides in to remove the slackness. The sides are thick and won't bend and will break if they do. What is worn out are the soft nylon bushings around the pin. You can still get these from the dealer I believe. The part numbers are...

Control pin bushings....... 32855-H1010... need two

Control lever bushing...... 32861-N4200... need one

I used a Dodge Van? bronze door hinge repair kit. 

DSC01168Large.jpg

DSC01198Large.jpg

They were slightly large but one slice with a hacksaw and they fit right on

shifterbushing004.jpg

• Like 1