FS5W71C 5 speed

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These are a very tough 5 spd. with a double syncro second gear. An L or Z front case will fit on if you swap the lower front counter shaft bearing for a smaller FS5W71B type and drill out the shift rod holes to 16mm. Minor clearance grinding may be required inside the case too. The C type are about 2" longer than the B type. I would love to try one from what I've heard about them.

So you still need a C case with a L bell to fit to a L engine, right? :mellow:

There are no C cases with L bell. The front bell from a B 5spd will fit over the C tranny gears.

datzen mike would a dog leg bell work? if so that would be a nice swap

No. Only the 5spd. B type will work. The F4W71B 4 speed bell WON'T work either.

These are a very tough 5 spd. with a double syncro second gear. An L or Z front case will fit on if you swap the lower front counter shaft bearing for a smaller FS5W71B type and drill out the shift rod holes to 16mm. Minor clearance grinding may be required inside the case too. The C type are about 2" longer than the B type. I would love to try one from what I've heard about them.

I've just finished the C bell housing/B gearbox tranny. The opposite of what you describe.

That's why I am selling this C gearbox. I believe I have the B bell housing from a nap z engine also available if anyone interested.

DSCN2170.jpg

Edited by kwoo510
So you put a larger counter shaft bearing on? What about the different size shift rods? I assume that's not an L series tranny on the back.

No, I use the entire gearbox from the 720 4x4 tranny. The first/second shift rod hole on the bell housing is slightly bigger than the 720 tranny shift rod, I was told I need to make a bushing to take out the slag.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.