Boxing with KC

Took the last few days off from work (hurt my back). I get more done on my projects this way LOL (OUCH!!!) Hurts to sit or stand (and laugh) so might as well do something.

Got a '75 box in great shape, tailgate badly rusted at bottom. It's a long bed so I'm trimming about 8" off the front and moving the bulkhead back to fit the KC. I'll keep the flatbed but want the 'truck' look back. Last year I mounted it upside down on saw horses and started cutting. I want to flip it back for the welding but before I do I want to undercoat the bottom and wells and sides with roofing tar. The thin crap from the factory is peeling so I scraped and wire brushed it off and vacuumed it. Got a gal of tar and thinners so I can use a roller and brush to get into the cracks. Got 3/4 done today and will finish tomorrow and spread the rest in problem areas.

The sooner I get it on the truck the sooner I'll have to finish it (paint). I cut the gas tank mounts off and it looks good. It will also be at a better height to work on. Been stalling on this too long hoping for a good tail gate to fall into my hands. Feels good to get some work done on it.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got this long '75 for $50. The cap can be shortened, and there was over $20 worth of three year old gas in it, bright piss yellow but ran just fine. Got a points dist, starter, rad and support and very good windshield ... $50! Forgot to mention not rusty mint tail lights, complete with harness!!!

Photo0001.jpg

The load out.

Photo0005.jpg

The cut is made.

truckboxtwo.jpg

Today I scraped off as much of the old undercoating as I could and covered the underside with roofing tar. Should be dry by tomorrow and will get my sons to flip it over to get at the other side.

01570002.jpg

All I have to do is slide the bulkhead back 6-8 inches and overlap the floor so that the box mount holes line up and weld. Then trim the two sides and wrap the edge around and rivet? it in place.

01570003.jpg

, and there was over $20 worth of three year old gas in it, bright piss yellow but ran just fine.

I have a buddy who used to run all the gas he could find. Then he would rate it haha That was a long time ago hehe

The project looks good, I didn't realize how big your truck was until I saw these photo's!!! :eek:

I have a buddy who used to run all the gas he could find. Then he would rate it haha That was a long time ago hehe

The project looks good, I didn't realize how big your truck was until I saw these photo's!!! :eek:

Oh yeah the gas cap was missing, so open to the damp air too. It's about 16" higher than my parts truck (is that wrong? Should I have gone the other way?) he he

It's about 16" higher than my parts truck (is that wrong? Should I have gone the other way?) he he

No I think it should be up to the owner :D I bet you still slow down for speed bumps though :D