Im looking to know what 5speed tranny would bolt up to Datsun 510

grizzlypaugh

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dog leg 5-speed from a 1977-78 200SX. I think this short tail 5-speed was also found in a 1979-80 510 wagon (or some rare model) but is even harder to find than the 200SX.

basically a short tail 5-speed

i'm also curious about this, if not these trannys you mentioned, what other trannnies would fit that are still 5 speed. how can you tell the difference between a short tail 5 speed and a long tail five speed? also, would a long tail five speed require you to cut up the tunnel?

will an 8 spark plug nap z engine five speed work?

No other transmission will botl up to your L-series, have a properly aligned shifter, bolt to the transmission mount, fit your driveshaft, and not require cutting or driveshaft changes.

Z-series engines (Z20,Z22,Z24) have the same bellhousing bolt pattern but the engines are tilted the opposite direction as the L. So when put up to an L, the transmission then has to be tilted way over. Its not what you want to do.

the short tail transmission are shorter in overall length than the long tail. I think about 5 inches so its pretty obvious.

A 280ZX 5-speed fits, I believe, without cutting. You'll need to do work on the transmission mount and shorten the driveshaft.

Actually no 5-speed in the world will bolt into the 510 with zero mods.

The Dogleg is closest- as long as it's from a '76-79 200SX or a '78-79 510. That's IT. Same overall length, same bell pattern and same shifter alignment BUT the 2 things that have to change is the transmission crossmember (generally accepted that you flip it around and maybe mod the bolt holes) AND need to change the speedo drive cable as the drive cog is on the other, far side of the transmission.

Any other transmission with either have 1) the wrong bolt pattern (like using a A, S series or VG series transmission), 2) be the wrong length (any truck or Z/ZX transmission), or 3) have the wiring shifter clocking (NAPS-Z or KA trans) or a combination of 2 or all of these. ALL will require mods to the crossmember, and ALL will need a longer speedo cable. I've seen folks try to use the Roadster 90-degree cable adapter with the original short cable but the adapter costs more than a new speedo cable.

That's not to say you can't use the 280Z/ZX 5-speed- many have done it, but it requires driveshaft shortening, floor mods, and a seriously modded crossmember to make it work.