RPM is fluctuating slightly at idle.

blackbomber

Hey guys... its Jason with the black bomber...haven't been on in a while... the truck has been doing well...got my new alternator in... and bled the power steering pump.... that helped a lot ....my pump stopped making noise, and stopped dumping fluid on my alternator....I am starting to become aware of  a fluctuation in rpm when its idleing....   normal idle right now is around 1000.....and it will jump up to 1400 or so,  then go back down, and back up...haven't noticed a pattern with it yet..  the choke has been acting up again lately...it will stay closed after it warms up,,but lately with the warm weather it has been acting normal.....   I wouldn't think the problems are related.... but not sure..it is the original carburetor .    good to be back on ratsun... oh yea...I am not much of a techy guy, but I would like to download some pics of truck from my computer if possible..maybe I could email them, and someone could post them...

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Proper idle is around 750 or so. When the idle is higher at least two things can happen.

One... the throttle plate is higher and the vacuum advance port is exposed to manifold vacuum. The distributor advances and the idle speed goes up.

Two... if the idle speed is higher than 750, some mechanical advance may be introduced and this will increase the idle speed.

FAST IDLE... can be from the choke not being fully off. Part of the choke system is a fast idle. Make sure the choke is fully off.

CHOKE NOT OFF ... A heating element is used to warm the choke and turn it off. The choke heater has a Blue wire to it and it should have power only when the engine is running and the alternator charging. If no power with the engine running the fastest way to get it fixed is to run a jumper wire from the idle cut solenoid right beside it. The solenoid has a Red wire to it. Both wires may have a Black covering but are Blue (choke) and Red (idle cut)

For a 4X4, with idle at 800 RPM, set the ignition timing to 3 degrees plus or minus 2 degrees with vacuum advance hose disconnected.

Anyone can and should be able to post pictures here. It's easy enough, just give this a read.... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/54932-photobucket-ratsun/