1980 720

minitrucker

Oh and whatever the problem is, I would highly suggest checking your oil for a gas smell. A lot of time when it runs too rich it will overflow into your oil, and since gasoline is corrosive rather than lubricating, you'll want to change it ASAP. I'd do a second after a week or so if it stops smelling like gas to flush.

• Like 1
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I was trying to say is the engine doesnt run right not that its not enough power. I havent read your links yet but I have searched and all i can find is z to ka swaps or head swaps. Is the l20 and the z or ka have the same mount points? is the length of them with transmissions the same length as the l20b and 3n71 setup? these are things i can't find asnwers to.

on a side note how much sould i expect to pay (ballparking of course) to have the trans rebuilt? I got a quote of around $1000 so far. But I only called one place too.

The transmission needs rebuilt. The engine has a problem with not wanting to start after its warmed up. It also like s to die on you for no reason. I have a lot of clean up work to do under the hood and paint the engine as well. Also going to take this opportunity to fix the front suspension (the person who bagged the front of this truck was high on meth) The back looks pretty damn good but the front...tsk tsk.

Common problems. Removing the engine won't fix those problems.

Almost every answer was followed by a question on removing and swapping the engine. Get it running.

Give an accurate discription of the running problems.

It's an automatic so it needs good intake vacuum as it's in gear and under load all the time. Leaking/cracked vacuum lines were suggested so go out and check them thoroughly and test again. Does it help or not. The we move on to the next suggestion.

Runs well unti warmed up then craps. While warming up the choke and fast idle are on and this maskes a hidden underlying lean mixture. Is mixture set when warm? Is the idle cut solenoid working? Check vacuum lines first.

The automatic... is the fulid discolored? What exactly is it doing? Someone not used to an automatic may see a problem that is not even there. They can seem sluggish and coupled with poor idle and running, can seem like they have a problem.

If you pull the auto out you'll start thinking about a standard transmission swap, then another engine... then why doesn't the engine fit the trans, then another transmission.... and the truck will just sit there because this wasn't thought out. Fix what you have or take it as far as you can towards completion.

• Like 3