would/could it work? front wheel drive 720/ tandem non drive rear

If perfectly straight there's no need for a U joint. They are used to transmit power through two rotating shafts that are not on the same axis. Usually two U joints are used and aligned 180 to each other so that when one is accelerating the other is decelerating. If both angles are identical the vibration is cancelled. This is not really possible on an IRS or IFS as the wheel is constantly being steered or traveling over a bump.

• Like 1
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The U-joints are aligned 90 degrees out of phase, not 180 degrees.   Also drive-shafts and 1/2 shafts in IRS cars have the shafts built this way on purpose to help eliminate the problem.  The angle between the two joints can stay the same (or extremely close to it) or you'd get constant vibration/jerking in all RWD cars.

A lot of trucks don't use a CV joint like a car, they call it a CV joint, but it's actually a double cardan joint. This is basically just a really short driveshaft. This is used to cancel out the speed issue.

Now you have to build it harlow . . . If anyone can do it you can . 

Example : harlows tailgate release on his daily . 

IMAG4376_1_zpskeft7rb7.jpg

That looks very familiar......don't b giving away all my good ideas! I have had the tandem axle idea rolling around in my head for a while. I'll keep brainstorming until I find a dirtcheap 4x4 frame.....then I'll stretch it 3-4 feet(make 1/2 tool storage 1/2 dump bed). I think I can modulate the elec brakes with a variable reo-stat.....kinda like an old sewing machine pedal or something similar.....but if not I can swap hyd brakes.

The U-joints are aligned 90 degrees out of phase, not 180 degrees.   Also drive-shafts and 1/2 shafts in IRS cars have the shafts built this way on purpose to help eliminate the problem.  The angle between the two joints can stay the same (or extremely close to it) or you'd get constant vibration/jerking in all RWD cars.

A lot of trucks don't use a CV joint like a car, they call it a CV joint, but it's actually a double cardan joint. This is basically just a really short driveshaft. This is used to cancel out the speed issue.

:blush:  lol yes. 90 works much better.