Broken cam dowl ???

robrob

Hi, my name is Rob. I own a 74 620 and im running a u20 cam w53 head on an l16 with twin hitachi w38 flat tops and a k14 manifold.

My truck has been running crappie lately so I decided to replace the old points distributor with anew d4k match box. i went to put my motor to tdc with the valve cover off and noticed that the cam gear wasn't in line with the notch.

Here's the fun part, when I turn the motor, via the fan the cam gear moves independent of the cam

This is a running motor and every thing is thight. Could the pin on the cam have broken some how?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the coil for a 79 620....

Having some trouble getting this thing to idol smooth though..

It dose have a miss but now all my ignition components are new.

At one time the carbs were set good. Could I have a bad valve ? I will check the valve lash after work.

How can I check if thevalves are seating right without removing the intake or head?

what I do is pop the valve cover and what ever cam lobe is up see if it wiggles then you know the valve is closing. then ck the others then move the cam clock wise till the next lobe is up then ck that one

this don't ck if the seat poped loose or the valve has a crack and looses compression.

maybe you you go to habe B on +12volts and C to - side of coil?