Z-22 Z-24 intake/carb/weber ??

Underneath the factory Hitachi carb is an alum(alloy) insert that has matching prim/second dia.....directs flow inside intake phlenm(sp). In the past I omitted it when I did a Web conversion. I did note that 2 jugs ran a bit leaner(plug color). If I leave the insert in....will it help fuel atomization?

Want to add an O-two sensor so I can hook-up my air/fuel gauge. If I weld(mig) the ox sensor to the ex pipe(as close 2 manifold as poss) will the sensor b damaged? Would brazing be a better alternative?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Underneath the factory Hitachi carb is an alum(alloy) insert that has matching prim/second dia.....directs flow inside intake phlenm(sp). In the past I omitted it when I did a Web conversion. I did note that 2 jugs ran a bit leaner(plug color). If I leave the insert in....will it help fuel atomization?

Want to add an O-two sensor so I can hook-up my air/fuel gauge. If I weld(mig) the ox sensor to the ex pipe(as close 2 manifold as poss) will the sensor b damaged? Would brazing be a better alternative?

The stock spacers under the card serve thre purposes...

a/ They insulate the carb from conducted engine heat in the summer.

b/ They often have a ceramic electric mixture heater for cold weather that warms and helps evaporate the gas for smoother cold running.

c/ Directional vanes to direct air flow around the 90 degree bend under the carb. This keeps the mixture from condensing back to a liquid on the cold intake surface.

If two cylinders ran lean you have no where to look but the carb change you preformed at the same time. 

Find a later Z24 exhaust manifold with the O2 sensor already mounted in it. They were on all feedback carbs and TBI or Z24i engines even on the D21 Hardbody through '91?

O2 sensor... green wire.

exhaustmanz24andz24iLarge.jpg

I more or less copied a redline Web adapter out of green UHMW. I even machined a perch to mount my glass see thru fuel filter. It worked great 4 thou of miles. I wouldn't say that the two jugs were TOO lean... just noticeable to me. I think fuel was puddling thus (2int-2ex)  plugs bit darker. Good tip on ex manifold....I'll keep my eyes open @ scrap yard. Just finished blocking off emissions, hi temp paint, installed an 83ish z24 manifold. Have a couple ex pipes so I'm going to weld an o2 sensor to one of them to satisfy my tuning curiosity.  I am going to put the alloy 'insert' back in the intake and start out with my trusty 32/36 DFAV -23AL8. Can I swap 32/36 throttle shafts onto a 38/38?? Want progressive secondary on 38/38. thanks 4 the info! B)

38/38 is a V6 small V8 carb and too big for 2.2. It's also not a progressive carb and both barrels open together. You will have to drive it off the line and step into it as the revs rise. I think you will find it very boggy except when really revved up. My advice is don't throw the old one away.