'79 KC Datsun KA Swap Pics and Questions

Cruzn620

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The transmission mount is nothing special...TRUST ME...a little ashamed of it to be honest, but we are rednecks, so we do things to make them work. What we did is took the Nissan crossmember and cut out the part of it out that had the correct mounting holes for the KA transmission. We then sectioned a section out of the datsun crossmember so that the two pieces could fit inside of each other at the correct height of the transmission. We had a piece of 1/4" plate laying around, and we slid that on top of the part that we sectioned, but below the nissan mount so that we had plenty of material to weld to. Then we welded the whole deal together. It's not pretty by any means, but it is solid and it took about 20 minutes to make. The transmission is high enough to clear everything, it doesn't hit the tunnel in the cab, and the oil pan clears the cross member by about 3/8" of an inch all the way across. 

I dropped my driveshaft off today to have one custom made. KA front, Datsun rear, 64" long, one piece.  Getting rid of the stupid carrier bearing and all that garbage. I doubt the mighty 110 horse motor will balk at having a 1 piece drive shaft when the guy who is helping me has a 600hp big block C10 on nitrous that is running a 62" shaft with no issues...hahahaha.

Here are the pictures I have today, it's just the motor in the bay with the air cleaner cover on, radiator in and all of that stuff. I now have the clutch all mounted up, the heater hoses and radiator hoses ran, and the fuel lines hooked up. Quick picture on how I mounted the fuel pump and filter. Yes, I know there are no clamps there. 

DSCN7028.jpg

DSCN7029.jpg

DSCN7030.jpg

DatsunFuelFilter.jpg

We had a little aluminum angle that we self tapped into the frame to hang the pump and filter on, keeping it protected if I was to get a jack under there in the wrong spot. The next chance I get to work on it, I'll be pulling all of the old stock fuel lines off of it of course. 

DatsunHeadedHome.jpg

And here's me all excited that my truck is leaving the shop and heading home for me to do the final wiring and such.

I'll be on the road for the next 3 weeks so you won't see much progress, but I have a week off after that and if the weather is good (I don't have a garage) I'll be finishing up the engine bay stuff, I still have a few grounds to attach and a couple of vacuum hoses that I need to double check before I eliminate them and then it's on to wiring. As soon as I have it running, driving, and stopping, oh yeah, I have to hook all of the brake stuff back up since I took that out to paint the engine bay...I will move on to the interior. 

Project schedule looks like this: By the end of the year, Running, driving, turning, stopping and the interior completely done. I have to weld in new floor pans (thanks nissan doner truck!) then dynomat everything, carpet, then have a professional do my head liner, seats, door panels and rear panel. I'll also be putting in a VERY mild stereo, one 10" sub and rear components and new door speakers, and then I'm going to really enjoy it for a while.

I have a harley project that I'll finish during the winter since I have a small space I can work on it indoors, and then in the spring I'll move to the body work and HOPEFULLY have it "done" by the end of next summer. If there are any pics you need, just let me know and I'll get them out. 

• Like 2

I think I have it figured out now that I have the pictures off my camera and on my computer screen. Looks like it is mainly emissions stuff, but I also have the wiring diagrams to double check. I've worked my ass off the last 2 weeks on this truck, It will be nice to take a little breather from it. I have had HILARIOUS accidents unloading both trucks in my drive way. Almost took out the corner of my house last night with the nissan when it rolled off the trailer faster than I thought it would.

Tonight I unloaded the datsun and I got "smart" and hooked up the winch to it, was going to let the winch hold it and ease it down. Well, the hook came off without me knowing, so the Datto took off again, hit the Nissan that was already parked, and then the nissan went for the corner of the house again. Luckily no body damage to the Datsun, the Nissan didn't make it to the house corner again, and now I have both trucks safely chocked up to prevent further hilarious videos. I am a source of pure entertainment for my neighbors...

• Like 2