Need some help, trying to find out if my car was originally an AUTOMATIC!?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard of a GX 1200 nor of a GX head, although there were some heads that were better than others. There are no GX emblems for the 1200. GX does not mean hatchback in the B-210 or anything else although some hatchbacks were GX. The B-210 had a K in the model number as in KLHL210RU The K signified hatchback. ggzilla would know more about this.

Yea haha but I can't figure out if it's an original auto bc I had a original auto and the VIN plates are identical except for the numbers, I know this because I tore the auto out of my other 1200 crazy trying to figure this out, it's suppose to have an "A" somewhere but neither of my car do

Damn I'm fucked. O well... My SR is going to be a bitch now. This is the only detail I didn't even think about when I bought the car but had thought about a shit ton before I really started looking for a 1200. I'm super bummed cause I didn't want to cut the shit out of this car. GRRRRR!

It's easy to tell if it was an auto if you can look at the car.

Manuals came with a small boxy transmission tunnel. The automatic transmission cars have a much larger rounded transmission tunnel.

The gear shifter hole is round on a manual car and square on an automatic car.

Yes, there are GX heads. They were sold in the Japanese market for sure but not in the US. The GX engine package was a head that had the largest intake ports of any of the A series heads with a matching intake manifold, dual SU carbs, dual outlet exhaust manifold, and a mild cam.

I purchased 2 of the GX A12 engines back in the '80s when they could be picked up cheap. The GX head was also sold through Datsun Comp.

I can post pics of both later today if needed.

Thanks for all the replys! I'll find out this weekend when I go see the car. I really don't want to hack this car up but I may have to.

I've looked into the Maddat tunnel but I need to do some more research if it ends up going that way. I may just try to sell the car

without the engine and find an auto bc of not wanting to hack it up.

Has anyone out there installed the Maddat tunnel? If so how intense was it?