Weber 32/36 install, exhaust re-gasket, de-smog

c4ck4

Is it safe to assume I don't need to use any kind of heat shield with the L16 intake since its cooled/warmed by the coolant runners?  The heat shield from the previous intake wouldn't fit, plus there is that giant hole in the middle so it doesn't seem like it would do too much anyway.  Did they use any kind of shield in their native L16 environment though?

And what about the carburetor heat shield and spacer?  What's the purpose of that spacer anyway?  It does fit on the L16 intake, but I'd have to cut a slot for the coolant hose that the other one didn't have.  Is it needed?  Totally useless?

Heat shield and spacer on the old intake

IMG_20140929_162745479.jpg

Heat shield and spacer on the new intake

IMG_20140929_162709108.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thinking, since I'm not using an EGR system anyway I don't really need my Thermal Vacuum Valve.  I was just planning on leaving it there as a plug but I don't see any reason not to just plumb my intake coolant line in right there.  Maybe I'm overlooking something but since its in the same pre-thermostat bypass area, it seems perfect.  Plus then I wouldn't have to try and squeeze a T into one of those tight hose curves.

IMG_20141004_164829717.jpg

I was trying to get this finished up and get my carb on this weekend, but so far I've had trouble finding one of these (see pic below) 1/4 NPT heater hose nipples, at least locally.  The TVV port would be the same deal, just a little bit bigger threading.

prs-1046_w.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It took a lot of fiddling to keep the manual choke cable from binding, I think I got it situated finally.  I fired it up today, no exhaust yet, and it still needs to be tuned, but it lives!  It sounds sweet without the exhaust, I still need to get a Y pipe made for it

I noticed my motor is seizing sometimes while cranking, not every time but most of the time.  Like it'll roll over then suddenly stop dead.  It seems like something is binding and its making me nervous that I'm going to break something if I keep cranking it or running it.  I still need to set the idle and timing so I understand it might not be running great at this point, but the seizing makes me think something important needs to be dealt with before I continue

I've been thinking, since I'm not using an EGR system anyway I don't really need my Thermal Vacuum Valve.  I was just planning on leaving it there as a plug but I don't see any reason not to just plumb my intake coolant line in right there.  Maybe I'm overlooking something but since its in the same pre-thermostat bypass area, it seems perfect.  Plus then I wouldn't have to try and squeeze a T into one of those tight hose curves.

IMG_20141004_164829717.jpg

I'm going to say ... no. The intake coolant would have to fight with the water behind the thermostat. Both would be at the same relative pressure from the water pump. The thermostat, even when open, will hold back some of the water pressure from the head and the intake coolant would flow better around this. 

I noticed my motor is seizing sometimes while cranking, not every time but most of the time.  Like it'll roll over then suddenly stop dead.  It seems like something is binding and its making me nervous that I'm going to break something if I keep cranking it or running it.  I still need to set the idle and timing so I understand it might not be running great at this point, but the seizing makes me think something important needs to be dealt with before I continue

The battery sounds like it is low on charge or dirty connection. Check the battery terminals are tight and clean also the starter lug and the ground cable where it bolts to the head behind the fuel pump. Jumper power from another vehicle.... if it cranks normally then this is the problem.

You may have a charging problem or not running long enough to charge between starts..