521 AC pictures

fisch

The topic of an air conditioner in 521's has come up lately and after a few requests on how they are fitted, I thought I should take some pictures of mine.

As far as I understand it, these units were a dealer aftermarket add-on, I've never seen another in a 521, so i am not sure if they were all hooked up the same. The name on the underdash unit and the compressor is 'APA'.

The main bracket is more of a shelf made out of thick and heavy steel that bolts to the block. Lotta extra weight there!

Not shown in the photos is that they put on a double stacked main pully on the shaft so that they could run an independent belt to the AC.

And it looks like 620's were mounted different than 521's.

So here we go.

AC6.jpg

AC1.jpg

AC2.jpg

AC3.jpg

AC4.jpg

AC7.jpg

AC5.jpg

That is all she wrote!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fisch

that extra pulley is for the belt tensioner

Ahh I see! Looking at the photo that pully is indeed adjustable. Makes total sense to me since there would be no other way to get tension with that industrial imovable shelf bracket holding the pump!

i wouldn't feel bad if you remove it just keep it together as a set if you do. someone would want it i'm sure.

Thanks! I imagine I will be removing the stuff under the hood eventually. But I can't see taking the underdash unit out as I love having the extra fan in there! But I will box the pump hoses brackets etc and stuff them in a corner in case I ever want to sell the entire unit, or the truck, or just in case someone just wants to buy the underhood stuff w/o the dashunit.

Very informative pics Fisch. I like the desciptions too...have you tried to use your A/C yet?

Thanks Pac! I never have tried to hook it up, guess I just figured the belt was removed for a reason, but who knows? The pump spins freely, but it has a clutch thingy built in.

What would worry me most is that the radiator looking thing (condenser?) doesn't look very sound. Wouldn't be surprised if the freon all leaked out of that!

there sure is allot of extra weight there, and with all those brackets that sucker aint going nowhere and the other pulley is definately for the adjustment of the belt, Looks like that is pretty much the same as jason's set up with the comp in a fixed position and and another pulley for adjustment, I imagine that's how they would have been from stock on the 620's atleast.

Thanks for all the informative shots and descriptions. :thumbsup:

The topic of an air conditioner in 521's has come up lately and after a few requests on how they are fitted, I thought I should take some pictures of mine.

As far as I understand it, these units were a dealer aftermarket add-on, I've never seen another in a 521, so i am not sure if they were all hooked up the same. The name on the underdash unit and the compressor is 'APA'.

Nice pics. You sure it says APA and not ADA? ADA is/was a major supplier of aftermarket auto A/C units.

Nice pics. You sure it says APA and not ADA? ADA is/was a major supplier of aftermarket auto A/C units.

Actually I just checked and we're both incorrect! It says 'ARA'. Too funny!:)