Help! What Clutch Disk For 320 Pickup Trany Change??

I have acquired a 1965 320 floor-shift transmission for my 64 pickup to change from column to floor shift. Here are left & right photos of the transmission. I need to determine what is the proper clutch disk and pressure plate and throwout bearing to sew this up to the original E1 engine.

320Floor-ShiftTranyLeft_zpse2d61d16.jpg

320Floor-ShiftTranyRight_zps6f00baa9.jpg

This transmission has an input shaft with 20 splines and is 7/8" diameter at the splines shown in this photo.

320Floor-ShiftInputSpline_zpsee10f787.jp

I do not have the engine/trany pulled from my pickup yet. I understand that the 320 column-shift transmission has an input shaft with 10 splines and it's clutch disk diameter is 180mm. Can one of the early Datsun gurus on here tell me what flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, and throwout bearing I'll need to mate this to the E1 engine?

I have found a clutch disk for a 520 with J13 engine that has 20 splines, is 7/8" fiameter, and has a major diameter of 200mm. I think this disk might work except it's is too large for the E1 column shift flywheel (180-190mm dimeter disk surface). Maybe the J13 flywheel would work, but I'd have to consider the ring gear diameter which, if larger than the 320 flywheel, could result in starter mesh issues. any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm in no hurry, as I won't pull the engine for a couple more months.

Steve

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe you need the transmission adapter plate also, not sure that the column shift plate will work on a floor shift transmission.

I wish I knew more about these engines/transmissions, all mine ran and drove fine when I bought them, or at least they were complete so I didn't have to guess about anything.

Wayno,

I may need a different adapter plate, like you say. I can fab that fairly easily when I have the two tranys on the bench. The clutch stuff is a little more tricky. I belive that this was a very short production transmission and all the old Datsun gurus from back in the day are gone or  not connected with the forums. Can any members say what other early export Datsuns the transmission that I've pictured was used in? Did the Fairlady in the mid-60's use a completely different trany and does anyone have some photos of it's trany?

I have be-friended a 320 guy who does a lot of crossing early Datsun stuff with the British Austin/Morris stuff and he'll be doing some checking on my problem. A bit of stuff will interchange but thread and gear configurations have to be taken into consideration.

"Miles to go before I sleep".

Steve

It looks like my 1966 520 transmission except for the rear tranny mount, mine has a single mount that attaches to the bottom rear, while yours has two mounts that cradle it like an engine.

Wayno,

I may need a different adapter plate, like you say. I can fab that fairly easily when I have the two tranys on the bench. The clutch stuff is a little more tricky. I belive that this was a very short production transmission and all the old Datsun gurus from back in the day are gone or  not connected with the forums. Can any members say what other early export Datsuns the transmission that I've pictured was used in? Did the Fairlady in the mid-60's use a completely different trany and does anyone have some photos of it's trany?

I have be-friended a 320 guy who does a lot of crossing early Datsun stuff with the British Austin/Morris stuff and he'll be doing some checking on my problem. A bit of stuff will interchange but thread and gear configurations have to be taken into consideration.

"Miles to go before I sleep".

Steve

All the roadster transmissions I have ever seen look different, but I have never seen an early(pre 1966) roadster transmission.

It is likely that you will have to use the arm/collar/throw out bearing that was in your 64 if you use your 64 flywheel, but if you can get the flywheel and everything connected to it from the 65, and that flywheel will bolt to you crank, I would use that including the arm that was connected to that 65 transmission, but you will need that adapter plate, that plate is very important.

As I said before, I have not had any E1 engines apart, nor have I tried to convert a column shift to a floor shift, and if and when I do convert over to a floor shift, I will change everything from the radiator fan on the front of the engine to the transmission yoke/driveline that goes into the rear of the transmission, I will move away from the E1 engine.

Wayno,

Right now, since the power-drive unit is still in the pickup and driveable, all I have are photos of the column shift trany out of the vehicle. the bolt pattern on the two tranys look to be the same. As for the adapter plate, I won't know for sure till I have them on the bench together. That shouldn't be a show-stopper.

In the photos that I have of 520 tranys, the transmission has a sheet steel bottom plate and  the shifter mechanism is down low and all the way to the back of the tailshaft. Pretty much all the Datsun tranys that I've seen on the internet have the shifter low and back by the rear of the tailshaft, but I still have a lot to learn on these critters. Maybe my photos of 520 tranys are not what I think they are. I studied a lot of trany photos and forum poste, here and on other forums. Here in Oklahoma, Datsun stuff is rare as hens' teeth. You guys on the west coast have a good resource as that is where 90% of the old Datsun stuff in existance in the US is. A few hours drive and you could possibly be measuring, tracing, and photoing in someones stash of treasures. Within reason, I can build/adapt a lot of stuff that I might need. Did that for years on the old FIAT's in the 70's & 80's.

I studied grafting a 5-speed into the 320 but decided against it. I eliminated several tranys and finally gave up as it looked like the floor pan would have to have been cut and modified which I didn't want to do to the pickup. I've decided to stay 4-speed and do the rear end swap.

Steve

• 3 years later...