72' 521 project/resto/go fast build thread.

So my previous vehicle was a mildly lifted 03 Wrangler. I sold her off ( and do miss her), to get rid of some debt. Searched around for a couple of weeks looking for a DD/project as I go car. I wanted an older Nissan/Datsun coupe, but alas I couldn't find any that ran, and if they did run, that was in good condition.

So when I saw this 521 on CL I jumped on going over to look at it. It was in rough shape. Dents on top of the cab, rust spots in the bed, front of the truck dented it. When the owner started it though, it started right up. I took her for a quick test drive and ended up buying it.

Fast forward a few weeks of working on it. Found it has a L18 motor/5speed instead of the L16 motor (after trying two different cap/rotors). Brakes stopped working on me when I was heading back home from my parents house, while going down a steep hill (that sucked).

So in the last few weeks in my spare time, I've been working on it. Pulled the hood, stripped it to get ready to weld up the underside brace along with a crack on the side of the hood. I have cut out the "new" 12 volt wiring from the PO owner, and started to redo the wiring myself. Still working on the brakes. I can't tell you, how much I hate drum brakes.

Onto the pictures:

When I brought it home:

20140507_193841_zpszzt5gnfc.jpg

IMG_0290_zps6edd601a.jpg

IMG_0284_zps388041bb.jpg

IMG_0266_zps0d579992.jpg

Goal is to build a reliable DD truck, that can turn heads. Once I can get my bug project sold, I will start to source out a KA24DE motor to rebuild, along with a 5spd transmission. 4 link set-up in the rear with coil overs, disc brake conversion up front, again with coil-overs. Plan on keeping manual steering, but do want to add in power brakes..

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome, nice little 521 :)

Power brakes are possible, as I have them on my 520 and my diesel 521.

My 520 I used a Ford courier power brake assembly, the mount is closer to the intake on a 520.

DSCN0879.jpg

I used the booster from the Ford courier, and used the 620 baster brake cylinder on my 521 diesel, the intake manifold doesn't stick out as far on the diesel engine, so I was able to use a traditional brake master, but had to do more fabricating for the whole setup.

DSCN0155.JPG

DSCN1145.JPG

DSCN1544.JPG

So far I have not found anything that will mount in the stock position that will work with any type of sidedraft on an L block, so far.

Drum brakes work OK, if bled and adjusted properly.

You cannot use a power bleeder.  The wheel cylinders only have one port for fluid to go into, and out of the wheel cylinder.  You have to allow the brake shoe springs to retract the brake shoes completely, to allow any air in the wheel cylinder to escape back to the bleeder fitting. 

You need to match the brake shoes to the drum.  After putting new shoes, or drums on the truck, you have to adjust them a few to several times at first, as the shoes wear to match the drums exactly.  

The shoes are not self adjusting, you have to do it manually.

On a stock 521, the brake pedal should be as least even with the gas pedal, or higher when stopping hard.  the pedal should nove hardly at all, with the emergency (hand) brake on.

• Like 1

I've rebuilt the drums on my 74 bug so I know about adjusting them manually but they are still new to me. I'm putting in new rear wheel cylinders now because one was leaking bad. I'll keep trying at adjusting them to see what I can do. 

Had a local mobile mechanic come by my place today, and do the brakes for me. What took him a few hours, would have taken me all day. Cost me $80 (plus parts), and now the truck stops and the e-brake even works! Was able to back it up and drive it around the block. 

Pulled the out the soldering gun, and started wiring up the new turn signal switch. Still have a bit of wiring to do before she'll be street worthy. Will get some more pics soon.

• 1 month later...

Didn't realize that I hadn't updated this thread in a while, and for good reason. Didn't do to much work on the truck, lack of time and for a while, interest. Now I just spent some time this past week working on the wiring. I removed the stock dash, and realized its in even poorer condition than what I had originally thought. So its out, and it'll go up for sale. I decided I'll eventually build a custom dash and center console set-up for it. For now it'll get a small gauge cluster made for it that'll be bolted to the steering column.

Here are some updated pictures. Wiring looks bad, but its 95% better than what it used to be, and I'm happy that I can say I did all the work myself. All that is left is redoing the headlight wiring. I ordered some new headlight retaining rings in, so until those arrive the truck will be geting everything else done. Also need to remove the old reverse light switch, and put the new one in and wire it up.

IMG_0479_zps704757da.jpg

IMG_0467_zps990d6eec.jpg

IMG_0471_zpsbf5ffcac.jpg

I've put it up a few times. Its a love/hate thing with it, lol. Dash is definitely something to work on. I've thought about fixing the damage on the stock one, but I love the idea even more to build one.

I like the red color to, but the paint job is a extrememly crappy one. Its like they took and rolled it on. I'll get it repainted one day, I want to do a 2-tone job on it. There are rust holes and fucked up bondo patch work I need to fix first.

• 2 months later...

Yikes, over 2 months and very slow progress. Finally figured out what I want to do with the truck. Build an AutoX/Pike's Peak daily driver. In the last few days I've dropped the transmission (PITA), pulled the starer/alternator and weber carb. Motor still sits in the engine bay, awaiting my lazy buddy to return my pop's engine hoist so I can pull it. Then up for sale it goes. Also pulled the hood back off, along with the front fenders. Wiring is all out out of the front end, will reuse pretty much only the headlight wiring. It's set up for only 1 pair of headlights, so non-sealed headlights will be going on, and something else will cover up the inner two, non-existent high beams. Still deciding on what motor, I'll have a long time to decide on that one though. My goal is to pretty much strip it down as much as possible, pending on the sale of my Grandmothers house, which then it will have to be relocated to my Uncle's place. Then more tear-down.

Picture time:

20141117_160314_zpseospmicf.jpg

20141117_160324_zpsz6ozgcia.jpg

20141117_160335_zpsjopaj03f.jpg