Trade my 720 for 210?

So I talked to a guy today who owns a 1981 210 and he wants to trade me for my 720. But I don't know much about 210's, and neither does the owner. All he knows about the engine is it's a 4 cylender, so could someone here tell me what engine it probably has? Didn't those come with the a14's? And how reliable are they? Gas mileage? Also what kind of suspension do these have? Coil springs??

Here's the ad of the car: http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/4561293959.html

If you guys could tell me a little about these 210's that'd be great.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I talked to a guy today who owns a 1981 210 and he wants to trade me for my 720. But I don't know much about 210's, and neither does the owner. All he knows about the engine is it's a 4 cylender, so could someone here tell me what engine it probably has? Didn't those come with the a14's? And how reliable are they? Gas mileage? Also what kind of suspension do these have? Coil springs??

Here's the ad of the car: http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/4561293959.html

If you guys could tell me a little about these 210's that'd be great.

good reliability, decent power can be had with little to no modification, good fuel economy (especially if its the fu head) my little 210 gets up to 45 highway mpg, around 30 or more in the city, if i take it easy. incredibly easy to work on, incredibly easy to drive, definitely a fun funky car. i get looks everywhere i go. i get asked to race all the time. definitely a great car to have. if its the 5 speed car, its got an a15 in it, with (i think) a 3.7 gear ratio. and parts are CHEAP. definitely a good car to have. in my book it gets a 9/10. only thing i could ask for out of my 81, is a little more power. but thats a problem that will soon be solved to the tune of a h89 head and 2 DHLA carburetors an a reworked exhaust...

My 720 is reliable, but has 266,000 miles, so idk how much longer it's gonna stay reliable, even tho it has so far haha. Anyone know if insurance is fairly cheap compared to other stuff? I pay $110 for my 720 each month and can't afford much higher than that haha

not sure what mine is... parents are taking care of it until i get a job. i dont think its that much for my car, though. the car has 65 horsepower and is the shape of a cereal box, it cant be too bad. :rofl:

I'm gonna call insurance in the morning. My insurance is crazy expensive because I'm only 17, so we'll see! And I'll talk to you about trades if I get the car.

sounds good man. hope it works out, because that car looks like it has a lot of potential.

Do you guys know things in particular to watch out for with these cars when I go look at it?

yeah, if you go look at my thread, you may see pics of the rust on the rockers, and the metal trim piece around the bumper. the piece under the bumper is going to hell. look for rust around the battery tray, obviously. look for oil on the motor, take a peek inside the valve cover with a flashlight and look for crud. and check to see if its the stock a15. it may have been changed.

just letting you know, a little grinding when down shifting from 3rd to 2nd is normal. rev the engine up about 500 rpm over what you were doing in 3rd gear before shifting and itll shift like butter. (aka rev matching) its good to know how to do that anyway. less wear on transmission.

Grinding is not normal. Worn syncros. Trans is already worn. 

its normal in most a60 transmissions to get that problem, from what ive heard. dad had that problem with his b forever ago (before he got married or had kids), i have it with mine, couple other guys told me they had that too. i guess it was just a design flaw.

edit: it only grinds when downshifting above 20 mph.