Winter project, 74 620 v8 swap

cr83

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't fit. You have two choices. Fit the engine normally and mount the rad in the box with electric fans or... cut the firewall back for clearance. Goodby heater in Canada, no defrost. Move pedals over and cut the tunnel as well. Sure you say 'I'll just drive it in the summer' but cutting the truck up usually ends up unfinished and scrapped. It's true. There are only a few ways to get it right and an infinite number to fuck it up. I only know of one ot two finished V8 swap 620s. They are good in a straight line and adding a 500 pound engine over the front of a light ass truck is not good for handling. A V6 is better and the new ones make decent power. Still heavy though. 

Im also planning on doing a l67 (supercharged v6) engine swap into my 620, but im putting it on  a 720 chassis (aussie registration laws suck) theres a mob in aus that make a conversion kit for the non supercharged version. i mocked the engine up in the chassis and it looks like the sump will hit the sway bar and steering rack.

• Like 1

You can do it ! But get ready to work ! It does take a lot of modifications, and commitment to choose the v8 option. But can be and has been done and will surely be done again .

But as mentioned above,to make a 620 functional with the v8 you will need to consider the brakes,body,electric,drive train, ad up the parts for both routes and you will see much less work to build it with something smaller .

so i think i have scrapped the v8 idea, i dont want to chop this truck up for it to fit, i've been watching videos on youtube of swaps, and its got me thinking of either a ka24de swap with a turbo in the future, or picking up an sr20det, i can get a ka24de and 5spd for under 800 bucks with the wiring, BUT i love the idea of the sr20det red top, there are many available on ebay with a tranny also, but they are 2500 ish, watching the acceleration on youtube with the sr is amazing in a 620.