320 Custom Build

eddietude

Hi all, 

Well, I'm new to 320's but not to Datsuns.  I've got a 1966 Datsun Roadster I did a frame off resto on a few years back.

Anyway, I'm getting ready to do a custom build.  I've got a 1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max 4WD Pickup truck turbo diesel rolling chassis with motor and trans that I need to put a body on.

(The Mighty max bodies look like crap, hence why I tossed the old body.)

The top contender is to use a Datsun 320.  But what I want to do is take a couple of 320's and make what will basically be a mini- panel van. 

I've got a few 320's lined up already.  (For the purists, don't worry, I will NOT be chopping up any 320 that could be rebuilt back to stock easily.  I'm looking more for a 320 that's best next life is as a resto-mod.)  

Couple of questions:

Has anyone made a panel truck from a 320?  I haven't seen one yet, but I think it would be cool. 

Windshields.  What are their availability?  Any other vehicle that they cross reference to?  Most of the 320's I'm seeing have busted windshields. 

Any leads or help are greatly appreciated.  

In the LA, CA area. 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome :)

Hi all, 

Well, I'm new to 320's but not to Datsuns.  I've got a 1966 Datsun Roadster I did a frame off resto on a few years back.

Anyway, I'm getting ready to do a custom build.  I've got a 1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max 4WD Pickup truck turbo diesel rolling chassis with motor and trans that I need to put a body on.

(The Mighty max bodies look like crap, hence why I tossed the old body.)

The top contender is to use a Datsun 320.  But what I want to do is take a couple of 320's and make what will basically be a mini- panel van. 

I've got a few 320's lined up already.  (For the purists, don't worry, I will NOT be chopping up any 320 that could be rebuilt back to stock easily.  I'm looking more for a 320 that's best next life is as a resto-mod.)  

Couple of questions:

Has anyone made a panel truck from a 320?  I haven't seen one yet, but I think it would be cool. 

Windshields.  What are their availability?  Any other vehicle that they cross reference to?  Most of the 320's I'm seeing have busted windshields. 

Any leads or help are greatly appreciated.  

In the LA, CA area. 

No one I know of has modified a 320 except a 6'3" tall guy in CA, he added a few inches to his cab to make it more comfy, then he sold it on ebay.

Before

1965%2520DATSUN%2520L320%2520PICK-UP%252

After

1965%2520DATSUN%2520L320%2520PROJECT%252

As for the windshields, at the moment I heard that Ross was thinking about having a bunch of them made, and I have not heard anything since, he likely would be selling them cheaper than I can have them made for if it ever happens.

Having someone cut them isn't cheap, that said if you really need one, PM me and I will see if one can be cut for you, the guy is in your area.

Thanks for the info.  I'm actually going to stretch the cab more than that since the frame on the MM is longer anyway.  Whomever did that did a nice job though!  

I understand that you are thinking about making a van, there are a few wagons over here, don't know about any vans, Australia got a few vans.

I would be interested in your progress, I have a few modified trucks myself, I like legroom, so I have made a couple 520/521 kingcabs.

You know that there isn't a lot of room in the engine compartment in these little trucks.

• 2 weeks later...