1969 Datsun 521 Crankshaft Pulley J13

jose7467

So find a harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley for my J13 has been fairly impossible (took 5 off of local junkyards and none were the same). So I sent it to Damper Doctor here in CA and he says he's having trouble finding the measurements for the keyhole width. Called Nissan and a few dealerships and they don't seem to have that information. Does anyone here know how I can find out?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure But send datsunmike a PM and he could help you out, unless he sees this post..good luck and your in Wilmington i used to live in Pedro.

I used to go to school in Pedro (Harbor Occupational) I can't wait to get this truck running, Pedro and Palos Verdes will be the first place I take it.

J13 uses the same key as all A-series (A14, etc) .Size is 5x16 whatever that means.

Why not buy a new key and give it to your machinist? Give him the old pulley too or have a local machinist measure it for you.

Nissan part number 12316-30000

He said he was going out today to see if he can find out himself, if not, I'll order one. Thanks for the link I hope they're in stock.

Just called nissan parts zone and they do have the key in stock

The 5x16 for the should mean that it's 5mm square and 16mm long

the key is only 1$ but if this saves me time I would go with it are you 100% sure on this measurement?

I just looked in the factory parts manual......it shows the J13 having two woodruff keys.....which are the half moon style.   If that's the case, that's why they seem different.  The 5x16 means that it's 5mm wide with a 16mm diameter....which still equates to the length of the flat. 

I just looked in the factory parts manual......it shows the J13 having two woodruff keys.....which are the half moon style.   If that's the case, that's why they seem different.  The 5x16 means that it's 5mm wide with a 16mm diameter....which still equates to the length of the flat. 

Yes, one keys the timing gear, and one keys the pulley.

jVvUxhq.jpg

#21 is what I sent to get fixed and it appears that the key I purchased for 1$ is now discontinued. :sick:

So it's safe to say the keyhole measurements are 5mm wide and 16mm diameter?

No. The key has no diameter, it is not round.

Do you not have the old pulley to measure the keyway width? You can also measure the crank keyway.

The crank probably has a moon-shaped keyway. The pulley is straight-cut.

for comparision, here is an L16 crank key

00926-51600.jpg

J13 key looks something like that.

Do you not have the old pulley to measure the keyway width? You can also measure the crank keyway.

00926-51600.jpg

Here's a photo of Nissan part # 12316-30000

crankshaft-woodruff-key-201388-003.JPG

Width: 15mm

Height: 6mm

Thickness: 4.8mm

Sorry for the inconvenience as I barely know anything about cars other than regular maintenance. I'm trying to learn on this datsun so thank you for your patience and help! So when the guy told me he need the keyhole width he meant the hole in which the the keyways go into?

oI8UtFt.jpg

I thought the keyhole width was something else completely  :confused:

00926-51600.jpg

It's half a circle......the diameter is the long flat.  If it was truly a woodruff key, that would be the measurement.  Maybe this comes up a bit short of being a full half circle.  It's round like a wheel.....not a rod.  Time for me to go back to ignoring the rest of the forum and just update my stuff. 

Thanks Mike. I did not know that. You have prompted me to learn more about woodruff keys.

Woodruff keys are semicircular shaped, such that, when installed, leave a protruding tab. The keyway in the shaft is a semi-circular pocket, the mating part, a longitudinal slot. They are used to improve the concentricity of the shaft and the mating part, which is critical for high speed operation. The main advantage of the Woodruff key is that it eliminates milling a keyway near shaft shoulders, which already have stress concentrations.