New member with a New Datsun 620

cletus

Hey guys, my name is Clayton, i currently live in Park City, Utah from Wenatchee, Washington. I have never owned a Datsun before, and im coming from a Subaru family. Im not super mechanically inclined but i am working on learning how to do things myself. So just bought a 78 KC 620 from a guy in Port Orchard, Wa so maybe you guys have seen or know the truck. (Working on pictures) I want to make it a daily driver first, and hopefully turn it into something special in the future. So far i have re-packed and put new seals on the hub bearings, gotten a new water pump, and got some missing parts for the cab and worked on some wiring and lights. A few problems i still have are idle dieseling after shut off, right front brake seems to rub for about 30 seconds after hard braking (like coming to a stop on a freeway) and i cant seem to get the rear running lights working new fuse wont fix it but it has a stereo headunit hooked up to the lights fuse so maybe its blowing the fuse immediately? Any tips on where to start looking to fix those problems? Thanks guys. Looking forward to learning all about this truck!

• Like 2
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dieseling after shut down means that gas and air are still getting to the motor and the heat from just running is enough to fire the mixture. L20Bs run hot and have an idle cut solenoid to shut off all idle fuel to the idle circuit which should stall the motor at once. Turn ignition to on then off on off on off but don't start it. You should hear a light clicking sound from the carb if it is connected. (and presumably working) No sound may mean it been tampered with. More on that later.

If the choke is not shutting off when the motor is warmed up this is another way extra gas can be supplied. When the engine is cold, remove the top off the air filter and look down after starting. The choke plate should be closed or part closed but withing 8-10 minutes it should move to a vertical open position. If not moving or stuck this could be the problem.

If the stereo is working then the fuse isn't blown. If it is, disconnect the stereo and replace the fuse. You'll notice that the fuse block can be unplugged and unscrwed from the bottom of the dash. Do so and toss the old fuses, and soak in a bath of ordinary vinegar over night to remove corrosion. Rinse it, dry and install NEW fuses before puttingit back. NEW FUSES!!!!! This will correct many electrical problems you haven't even found yet.