Smog delete question

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most solder melts at 350 degrees... so not a good idea. Use a metric pipe plug in the hole. At worst, cut tube one inch from end and pinch closed with vice grips, then hammer over and fold closed with vice grips. Plug looks the best. Remove the fitting and take with you to store to find the correct size.

The manifold looks just as bad with a hand made EGR cover for the PCV valve, how often do you need to remove the manifolds anyway? Has no potential to increase performance at all unless the EGR is faulty to begin with. Removal will return to stock performance.

I spent about two hours trying to get the fitting out. When that didnt work, I tried the pinch and fold thing. It split down the side. I still have about an inch extra pipe, so Im not out of tries, but I need to be back on the road by tomorrow. Im using a silver solder, which should need a little more heat than electrical, but still probably too hot, being right off the mani?

And while Im at it, are there any drawbacks to plugging the EGR system rail on the inside? Theres those nice little two inch tubes that reach into the head, why not close off in there?

It serves several purposes. Aesthetic (obvious), functional (easier manifold removal and installation, fewer parts) and performance (0.1% weight reduction!). That and its already off. Just sayin. :)

So, back to the question....

THe answer is put the EGR back on.But since you fucked that up.....Exhaust gas runs 1400 degrees.No solder is gonna work.

Maybe 1400 in AZ, but Im in WA. More like 1360 with a chance of rain. I TOOK IT OFF CAUSE IT WAS IN THE WAY OF OTHER WORK AND LOOKED SHITTY.

THe answer is put the EGR back on.But since you fucked that up.....Exhaust gas runs 1400 degrees.No solder is gonna work.

Exhaust gasses are 1400 degrees in the CC. Also, no flow through the three inches of mild stainless sticking off at the far end of the manifold.

See, what youre doing, Z, is called trying to help but kinda being a dick. Youre from AZ, so I know your intentions are good and you did provide some food for thought :console:

PS  Its all welded now. Yes, PCV hooked up in the factory intended hole on the intake.

Maybe 1400 in AZ, but Im in WA. More like 1360 with a chance of rain. I TOOK IT OFF CAUSE IT WAS IN THE WAY OF OTHER WORK AND LOOKED SHITTY.

Exhaust gasses are 1400 degrees in the CC. Also, no flow through the three inches of mild stainless sticking off at the far end of the manifold.

See, what youre doing, Z, is called trying to help but kinda being a dick. Youre from AZ, so I know your intentions are good and you did provide some food for thought :console:

PS  Its all welded now. Yes, PCV hooked up in the factory intended hole on the intake.

If you look wayyyy above your head you just might see my point as it flys by.

• Like 1