Oil Pressure

On the interstate, going 85ish by my speedo, around 3200RPM in 5th, my oil pressure drops to pretty damn close to 0.

Stock gears as far as I know, standard short shaft 5 speed into the T-100 case. I'm also running 235 75 15s. 10w30 castrol GTX High Mileage, oil is full, and about a half bottle of Lucas Zinc Additive.

Maybe 5 psi, no oil light, is all bueno?

I can just keep it under 75, but thats no fun, is it?

Just need some piece of mind that my engine isn't going to spontaneously disassemble itself because I wanted to zip by a few semis.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the volt meter work? If not working replace the 4th fuse to the right from the far left hand side of the fuse box. This should fix it

Turn key to on but don't start. Does the red oil pressure warning lamp light up? If not the wire fell off. It's possible the red light is fine but the gauge part of the sender is bad or the wire to it fell off, is broken or loose. 

The sender is up under the intake just behind and above the oil filter. The Yellow/Green stripe wire is the red warning light. The Yellow/Blue is the wire to the gauge.  Grounding the Yellow/Blue with the key on will give a full scale reading on the gauge if it is working correctly.

Lets hope it's one of the above

All the above could be just fine and the oil pressure is really low.  How to tell really?

Start the engine up cold, briefly, and see if the pressure comes up. If not, do not run it until problem is eliminated.

The gauge goes up to 40psi at idle and at 65mph and below.

volt meter works, red oil light works.

The needle stays about 1-2 mm away from the line for 0 @ 85mph.

The pressure sender was replaced last year. I think I got it from Autozone or O'Reilly's. No oil leaks.