voltage regulator wires

:lol: I had a lot of wires at that point, it's a lot cleaner in there now.

Man Wayne what happened to your truck does that still run?

That is a process that took a decade and a half, I had an inverter in the cab to run a hot box(water heater for a pressure washer), that is the big blue and black wires, the orange wire is a 110V extension cord, the red wires go to an amp gauge to watch how many amps are being pumped into the battery, the relay with the big black wire going down below the IR bypass plug wires goes to the starter, I have it set up like a Ford starter.

I know it looks like a rats nest, but it is what it is, and it starts every morning.

• Like 1
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This starts raising more questions, what distributor you have, points or electronic?

I thought that's what that was. alright that is fine then. but for the wires going to the ignition coil. I don't know what ones those are.

The 521 has 2 power wires that control the coil, one wire goes to the ballast resistor(points dist.), the other goes directly to the coil, that one works when you are starting the engine.

alright so. it wasn't the voltage regulator and I got a piece of the wirring harness im missing from pick n pull connected the wires right I think? because it douesnt back fire or spit out the carb no more. it actually trys to start had it running for a few seconds yesterday now just have to get it in time. and the black and red wire goes to both ends of the ballast correct? or if someone has a picture of the wires for that, that will be helpful.

The Black/red line wire goes directly to the positive side of the coil, that is the start position hot wire.

alright so. it wasn't the voltage regulator and I got a piece of the wirring harness im missing from pick n pull connected the wires right I think? because it douesnt back fire or spit out the carb no more. it actually trys to start had it running for a few seconds yesterday now just have to get it in time. and the black and red wire goes to both ends of the ballast correct? or if someone has a picture of the wires for that, that will be helpful.

521 wires.

521wires.jpg

The ignition switch has five wires on it. 

The white wire is always hot, brings power to the ignition switch from the fusebox.

Turn the key to the left, power from the white wire is applied to the light blue wire, with a white stripe, and to the radio, if so equipped.

Turn the key to the right one click, power from the white wire is applied to the light blue wire, with a white stripe, and to the radio, if so equipped, AND the black wire with a white stripe. this wire goes back to the fuse box, and then to the ballast resistor.  After the ballast resistor, the coil, and then the distributor.  The engine gets ignition, and can run.

Turn the key two clicks, against the spring, and the the light blue wire is disconnected.

Both the red wire, with a black stripe, and the yellow wire, with a black stripe get power.

The yellow wire, with a black stripe engages the starter solenoid.

The Red wire with a black stripe bypasses the ballast resistor, so the coil gets direct battery voltage.  This makes starting easier.

So, in Run position, the coil gets power on the white wire, black stripe, and in Start position the coil gets power on the red wire with a black stripe.  

521 wires.

521wires.jpg

The ignition switch has five wires on it. 

The white wire is always hot, brings power to the ignition switch from the fusebox.

Turn the key to the left, power from the white wire is applied to the light blue wire, with a white stripe, and to the radio, if so equipped.

Turn the key to the right one click, power from the white wire is applied to the light blue wire, with a white stripe, and to the radio, if so equipped, AND the black wire with a white stripe. this wire goes back to the fuse box, and then to the ballast resistor.  After the ballast resistor, the coil, and then the distributor.  The engine gets ignition, and can run.

Turn the key two clicks, against the spring, and the the light blue wire is disconnected.

Both the black wire, with a red stripe, and the black wire, with a yellow stripe get power.

The black wire, with a yellow stripe engages the starter solenoid.

The black wire with a red stripe bypasses the ballast resistor, so the coil gets direct battery voltage.  This makes starting easier.

So, in Run position, the coil gets power on the black wire, white stripe, and in Start position the coil gets power on the black wire with a red stripe.  

• Like 1

Hey Daniel, even your wiring diagram says "B" and then "R" which would mean Black with a Red stripe.

The other wire coming straight from the fuse block to the ballast resister is a "B" and then a "W" which would be Black with a White stripe.

The starter solenoid wire is Black with a Yellow stripe, because the Yellow wire with the Black stripe goes to the oil pressure switch, and the Yellow wire with the White stripe goes to the water temp switch.

Your reading some of the letters backwards, and this can get confusing.

had a friend come look at it today who wires cars up and stereos for a living and knows  a little bit about datsuns. we got the wiring fixed the accessories turn on when the key turns once and cranks and gives spark when turned again my ign coil was getting super hot like cant touch it so hot. switched it for another one I had now it doesn't get hot it gets a way better spark but it still tries to go but doesn't stay running. he said hes had the problem once but cant remember what he did. getting good spark fuel and its in time. still doesn't stay running.

had a friend come look at it today who wires cars up and stereos for a living and knows  a little bit about datsuns. we got the wiring fixed the accessories turn on when the key turns once and cranks and gives spark when turned again my ign coil was getting super hot like cant touch it so hot. switched it for another one I had now it doesn't get hot it gets a way better spark but it still tries to go but doesn't stay running. he said hes had the problem once but cant remember what he did. getting good spark fuel and its in time. still doesn't stay running.

Is it a points distributor, do you have a ballast resistor?

The ballast resistor is the dirty white thing connected to this coil in the photo below.

DSCN3035.JPG