260z gear box and sd22 gearbox?

KiwiDat

i hear they are the same? my sd22 gearbox has no speedo drive trust me i have inspected the whole thing on a car hoist and cant find it! but have been told z series gearbox fits? i was looking at a 260z gearbox but it looks slightly longer then my sd22 one, can anbody confirm this? as it may be too large to join upto my drive shaft! thanks!!!! 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't have a an SD gearbox. They have speedometer drives in them and the starter is on the driver's side. If there is no speedometer drive then this is a 4x4 transmission and there were no diesel 4x4s. If it is 26" long it's a later 720 5 speed possibly with a diesel front case swapped on if the starter is indeed on the driver's side.

It's always god to post pictures.. 

The transmission in the 260 was likely a 31.5" long F4W71B designed to bolt to an L series motor. Later FS5W71B 5 speeds will fit the Z car only if they are also bolted to an \l series motor. The SD series motors are much different.  

its not a 4x4 box, it is exactly the same as my sd23 column shift gearbox that i removed from the truck as it had blown, when i had both gearboxes next to each other i tried to put the column shift tail on the floor shift box but the internal gears were different( from exterior they looked the same so i thought id give it a shot) the floor shift tail has no speedo drive where the column shift speedo drive it, i have taken the car into my automotive engineering course and lifted it onto car hoist and had my tutors inspect they also are quite confused as to why there is no speedo drive.

There were SD powered 4x4s, just not in North America.  Well, not entirely true, IH Scouts and Jeep CJ10A aircraft tugs had SD33s and were 4WD.  But didn't use a Nissan transmission.

But SD powered 4X4s existed in the Asia-Pacific region, and likely Africa.  And South America.

The 4WD gearboxes in some vehicles are identical to the 2WD except they don't have a speedometer drive.  That's the ONLY difference externally on those.  You have a 4X4 gearbox there.

Yes, but the transmission doesn't do that.  A 4X4 would also have a transfer case behind the trans, which would have front and rear outputs.  Nissan used both mated (xfer case bolted to the trans) and divorced ( xfer case is separate and a short driveshaft connects the 2).  You likely have a divorced type 4X4 transmission.

Drilling and tapping a speedo won't work, there's probably  no gear inside to drive it.

• Like 1