New 620 build/restoration

JCalais

Hey guys, names Jarrod and Im from Australia. I have owned this 620 for about 2 years now and havent done a whole lot with it. so I have just started the process of rebuilding/restoring it, and getting it ready for the road. 

Plans, Stripping it right down to give it a full new paint job, at the moment im thinking a matte white, or a light tan colour.

The ute hasnt got a lot of rust at all, only rust I have come across is in the Drivers side floor pan and the passanger side sill/rocker panel is pretty pad. I dont yet know whether I am going to just get a rocker panel of ebay or bend up a piece of metal to suit the rusted out area. 

Anyway so far I have stripped the front end (will upload new pics soon) and I have started to paint strip some panels.

also I have 2 weeks off work next month so I will try to get alot done over that perioid and keep this thread updated as best as I can. 

Just ordered a heap of parts off ebay, New drivers side floor pan, rear tail lights, door rubbers and door vent rubbers, yellow tint for inner lights, new indicator stalk 

These are some pictures from a few months ago but nothing has changed since then besides the stripping part:

6tim54.jpg2m2uy2s.jpg2m2uy2s.jpg2q84ig5.jpg14juwp5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice looking 620. I love those visors. Always wondered how one would look on a 620 and now I know... AWESOME! Now to find one :P

Just a warning, check under the fenders for rust. I thought my 620 was in decent shape then one day my driver's side fender cracked at the bottom. On closer inspection is just crumbled into a mess of rust and old paint. The bottom 3-5 inches of my fenders near the doors are both pretty bad and that's an area I don't see many people mention for rust spots, but if left alone is can compromise the cab in those areas. I not have a small hole in the cab behind the driver's side fender :(

Good luck with your restore. Loving the white. 620s look really good in light/bright colors imo.

Little bit of an update today, got the Tub off and Some pics of the front end apart. Tub too a while to get off as all the tabs were bending, and half the bolts siezed, broke 3 out of the 6 bolts.. 2. I think When it comes time to put it back on I'll weld the nuts on the lower section other than using them stupid tags. 

NEXT weekend will be wire wheeling/paint stripping whole tub, and stone guarding underbody of tub/chassis.

The last bolt ( its always the last one) was being a bitch tried for while to jamb bits of metal/wood between the tag & chassis but no go, so had to tilt the tub up like this to cut the bolt from the inside.

8yztpg.jpg29lekoz.jpgsg1ers.jpg15cna13.jpg
16kyu6o.jpg5etyxc.jpgw8x3du.jpg11kyxi9.jpgv3ktbd.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Update:

Went down to paint shop to get everything I need to get the car in last coat of primer.
Etch primer
Acrylic primer

4L 3m Lightweight Body filler
Body file/sand paper
Discs for orbital
Thinners etc etc etc... 

Also had a mate lend me his air compressor, and air tools. 

Now I just need a welder has anyone had any experience with gasless MIG Welders on Car Panels? Like welding in rust repair sections and just general spot welding ??

Removed more of the interior, Seat and matting is now out, 

Removed The Diff/rear suspension..

Stripped underneath tub and undercoated, Ill be putting some sound deadner on it today. 

Before:
3149zef.jpg

Cleaned/Wire wheeled: (would need a sand blaster to get it all, so theres still a bit of surface rust undneath)
sxnq4i.jpg

Black undercoat: 
do6ypu.jpg

fu4z1l.jpg

While the paint was drying decided I'd also paint the leaf springs, Diff, & tailshaft, diff & leaf springs are bare metal now and Will be painting them today.

also today I will put some brush on sound body deadner under the tub.  I will update with more pics later tonight hopefully.

• Like 1

Today I prepped & painted the leaf springs and diff in black. also cleaned the fuel tank out and I am going to let it soak over night before to get rid of all the fuel before I work on it tomorrow..

Before:

veww7a.jpg

Cleaned up a bit better:
2jcbqyh.jpg

In primer:

fu6ueu.jpg

Painted:

261ztjq.jpg

• Like 4

Are the fuel tanks bolted to the tub of the ute? (mines a tray) also any possibility of you getting measurements from cab mount to cab mount's for me (distance between front - middle, middle - rear, rear - front? im going to be putting my 620 cab on a 720 chassis i have sitting here) also length of the chassis would be great! 

Nahh just kinda restoring it I guess, Nice little daily or something, honestly im not sure yet lol...

Still trying decide colour im thinking a matte white or light tan colour. and get it as low as possible and just drive it..

Alright guys been working on getting steering out most of the night, havnt got enough lifting power to remove the cab over the column, so I unbolted the steering box from the chassis and the steering arms from the pitman arm... all should be good to go now..

But while hitting the pitman arm with hammers a plug, that almost looks like a welsh plug come off the front end of the steering box and and lost all its fluid? and the shaft inside that whole seems off centre and moves freely ( not sure if that's how it is normally) 

and yesterday before I came on here (rushing sadly) i unbolted the 3 bolts at the bottom on the column on the top of the box and tried to slide the shaft out, but some of the split metal gaskets  came out and broke a big O-ring!!

So far it is not going good but I can think about all that when im ready to put it together!!

and also yesterday pulled off the top thing with 3 bolts on the top of the box. but that seemed to go back together easy enough..

What should I do? Look for another box or try put this one back together!