Fitting a 84 power steering pump to an 82 sd 22

Dredge

I want to put my 82 SD22 diesel engine in my 84 720 4x4  . After reading here I think Most things won't be to hard . however have not figured out the steering . Will the non power steering work in the 84 4x4 or better yet anyone mounted a power steering pump on an SD 22 at least I think it is an SD 22 vs an SD 25 Also anyone have any contact info for the Datsun Nissan Guru in Clarkston Wa . I would like to be able to bother him aaall the time with questions. Been to his house and traded something some time ago but don't want to have to drive around  the neighborhood like someone casing

Things the 84 4x4 needs is ball joints and bushings and  I want to use diesel gears in the gas transmission along with the diesel bell housing and input shaft gears .And  the diesel fuel tank

Can I make the 84 tac work with the diesel engine

Any thing else I need to know feel free fill me in

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure that someone could figure out how to make the stock tach work on a diesel engine, but no one has taken the time to figure it out, I use a diesel tach that uses magnets on the harmonic balancer myself.

One of the hardest things to make for a Datsun/Nissan 4X4 is the oil pan, it is a combo of the stock diesel and 4X4 pan.

I have power steering on all my SD series diesel trucks, it's not that hard to do, but you need the dual pulley harmonic balancer to make it work, otherwise you will have to fab up some kind of double fan pulley like someone did on one engine of mine.

You can see the power steering pump off a hardbody in the photo below.

DSCN0153.JPG

I want to put my 82 SD22 diesel engine in my 84 720 4x4  . After reading here I think Most things won't be to hard . however have not figured out the steering . Will the non power steering work in the 84 4x4 or better yet anyone mounted a power steering pump on an SD 22 at least I think it is an SD 22 vs an SD 25 Also anyone have any contact info for the Datsun Nissan Guru in Clarkston Wa . I would like to be able to bother him aaall the time with questions. Been to his house and traded something some time ago but don't want to have to drive around  the neighborhood like someone casing

Things the 84 4x4 needs is ball joints and bushings and  I want to use diesel gears in the gas transmission along with the diesel bell housing and input shaft gears .And  the diesel fuel tank

Can I make the 84 tac work with the diesel engine

Any thing else I need to know feel free fill me in

Thanks for the heads up on the oil pan and the picture of the steering pump. the oil Pan a local fab guy will do but could use some help on sourcing the double pulley set up if anyone has  the info

Since I have not pulled the pan off the SD 22 just where is the oil pick up on a SD 22

Thanks for the heads up on the oil pan and the picture of the steering pump. the oil Pan a local fab guy will do but could use some help on sourcing the double pulley set up if anyone has  the info

You need to look to see if you already have the double pulley, about half of the diesels have them.

It's not that hard to fab something up, you just need everything in front of you.

I would just focus on getting the engine in the truck and running, then worry about the power steering.

Have you ever drove a 720 with an SD22 engine, you know they only have 61hp.

Yes I have driven my 720 with 61 Hp  I'm not looking for a speedster here. Just something to cruse into town once in a while and use around the property as a side by side and a rig for hunting camp. I have a hopped up Cummins if I want to blow some smoke. Great idea about the Aussi angle I hope I can source one

Yes I have driven my 720 with 61 Hp  I'm not looking for a speedster here. Just something to cruse into town once in a while and use around the property as a side by side and a rig for hunting camp. I have a hopped up Cummins if I want to blow some smoke. Great idea about the Aussi angle I hope I can source one

One of the guys I know that has successfully put a SD22 diesel in a 4X4 doesn't drive it much, it just doesn't have much power on the hiway, it's hard to do 70 in a 2wd diesel 720, let alone a 720 that weighs a lot more.

Here is an avenue that might put out a little more power, but it can get expensive, and be a little user unfriendly.

I plan to transfer this into a 720 in the near future, and eventually put something like it into my 521 kingcab.

DSCN1742.JPG

I did not know you could turbo these things Some one did a great job Down the road I might look a a turbo but for the most part all driving will be gravel and dirt roads

The SD does have a tach option and needs a rev counter. The wiring is different and my FSM shows the diesel tach also. It may be that the dial only goes to 4 or 5K instead of 8K? A gas tach uses three wires, the diesel 4.