1974 Datsun 620

DatSun620PU

Hey guys new to this forum,

I will post pictures later so dont get me on that :P 

So the PO of my truck put non-foulers in and on my way back the spark plug flew out of the 3rd cylinder but, the threads weren't stripped. Anyone know why it happened? its happened twice more and im no longer driving it. I narrowed the non-foulers reason to be the valve seals and im gong to replace that as well as pcv valve and hose. Oh and btw my engine is the l18

Thanks. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i've had a spark plug on a motorcycle do that right as i pulled into my driveway before. scared me stupid, my buddies that helped me fix it told me that sometimes with age and wear and depending on how hard people are on engines sometimes it happens but if at all possible i would look at the threads in the head because mine were rather worn down so they got stripped when i took the bike in for a tune-up.

haven't ridden since sadly

welcome btw

Use the factory recommended NGK B6ES plugs in it. There is no such thing as a non fouling plug, get them out of there before you wreck something.

Tune up the motor to factory specs and adjustments is the best way to keep the plugs clean. In some extreme cases a hotter range of plug can be used.

Fouling could be excessive fuel or oil use.

If they are dusty black and dry probably running rich. Maybe short trips where the choke is on almost all the time, or choke is stuck. Perhaps the float is stuck and carb is flooding?

Oil fouled will usually present as a black oily/wet appearance and could be from worn rings and /or worn valve guide seals.

• Like 1

Update: bringing it into the shop to check compression, new plugs, new timing chain and valve adjustment. After everything is running well I will change to EI dizzy and also upgrade to weber 32/36. After that it's new mirrors, bed liner and alignment. Then it will be on to the real cosmetic stuff :D gonna custom fabricate door inlets and redo whole interior.