newbee with 82kc sd22

rockdog

Hi all.....new here.....had an 1980 kc 15 years ago.....it was just a work rig then....but now...I recently purchased a 1982 kc sd22 .....so basically starting a new in the datsun thing....first off love the mpg....runs awesome......I've done some repairs and junk yard runs.....only owned it for a week....I found stock rims. Bought new tires.fan belt...radiator cap.jiffy lube oil change.air filter.put back bumper back on.new wipers. Fixed door locks .changed idler arm.still need a couple of things....stock seats...console...little stuff....just love this thing....last rig got 15 mpg.....im getting 37 mpg in this!!!!! Anyway I'm not sure about the lubrication of the injector pump lube for leather diaphragm? ..??have no clue where that is......and fuel filters......there's the big one but no small one......I think I need someone to show me that stuff soon.....anyone in the area???I'd like to meet up and get schooled a little.....first datsun in a long time.....first diesel ever......so thanks for cool site and willing to learn....ps....newberg is Portland area.

• Like 1
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what the service manual has to say about the injector pump diaphragm:

ryeOfN8.jpg

It says the recommended oil is "genuine Datsun or equivalent"

If there are any other pages you'd like to see, just let me know.

Thats awesome .....even a picture ........now your talking my language ...lol.........sooooo ...what is the equivalent of datsun recumeded oil....???

Use Delo 400 in your diesel engine, as a matter of fact it likely is a good oil to use in any classic gas/diesel engine, especially to break the engine in.

Do you need to know where all the lines go?

I have a few of these engines in my vehicles, I can tell you where they all go.

Wow...main filter has way more hoses on it than mine.......the 2 closest to wheel well has lines on them ...the ones that say in and out have nothing....there's no wire mesh pre filter either that ive read about.....yikes

Wayno..... that would be good to know were all hoses and lines go....seeing I have some missing apparently......maybe we could meet up ......or some really good pictures.....

Ok I will describe where mine all go, first the line that comes from the tank goes to a pre-filter, then to the fitting on the bottom of the lift pump on the side of the injection pump, then the line on the top of the lift pump goes to the "in". fitting which is #1 in the photo below.

#2 fitting goes to the front of the injection pump.

#3 goes to the return line from the injectors.

#4 is the return line that goes back to the tank.

DSCN2982.JPG

Here is the filter leading to the bottom lift pump fitting, this line comes directly from the fuel tank.

DSCN2988.JPG

This is the line coming off the top of the lift pump going to the "in" fitting which is #1.

DSCN2985.JPG

This is the fitting on the front of the pump that goes to #2 fitting on the fuel filter.

DSCN2984.JPG

This is the fuel return line that comes from the injectors to the #3 fitting on the fuel filter.

DSCN2983.JPG

If you have any questions, just ask and I will try to answer them, your not that far considering where others live on here, we can meet if necessary, but it's not that complicated to pipe it correctly, the hard part is bleeding everything and getting it started, sometimes it can be a pain.

I have one that is basically a stock inline setup, but it's in my 521KC, but what it is in doesn't matter, as long as it is the stock routing.

Thing about me is that I cannot seem to leave stuff alone, but this engine runs good so I have not messed with it.

I live in Vancouver WA, how soon you need this, can it wait till the Canby show/meet?

Canby show meet?????!!!!!!! what is this you speak of!!!!!?????? I know nothing of this.....this show.......this meet.......when ......where .........a datsun show??????? all kidding aside I've been into Volkswagen for the last 15 years..... I've driven a couple bugs and then owned a 65 single cab for 10 years of that.....not sure how long the truck will wait......like i said ...... my plate is pretty full this week...... maybe next week would be good to meet up and take a look at what I got going on...... I've only had this thing about 10 days...... so I'm slowly fixing things that need to be fixed...... but mechanically I'd rather have things done sooner than later......... I definitely appreciate the help.....

This is a link to the Canby thread, you might have to wade thru a lot of crap to get the info.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/55743-canby-2014-no-fucks-given/

Here is a link to the Canby meet site where you can register if you want to show a vehicle or sell parts or get a camping spot.

http://www.datsunsnw.org/

It is June 14th and 15th, and there is a little going on Friday evening also.

I am hit and miss right now on getting together, I am working a lot right now and don't like driving very far on my days off, as I am trying to get a rig ready for Canby, you should go to the meet, Canby only happens once a year, and folks from several states make the trip.

There is also Blue Lake in August, these two are the biggest Datsun/Nissan only shows/meets in the Pacific Northwest.

Just PM me when you think you will have the time to get together, I will see if I can make the time.