valves, intake and exhaust order

Dats Right

Alright, was setting my valve clearances earlier and ran into a question. I am looking for for the order that i need to set them on the j15 engine.

I found a thread where datzenmike lists the order for a L18, where once set to tdc you set:  intake 1, exhaust 1, intake 2, exhaust 3, then rotate one full turn and set: exhaust 2, intake 3, intake 4, exhaust on 4, with this as my only guide i began to set valves also by going by the one that was more open,or higher, this left me with the same order described except number 3 was reversed, everything else the same but intake 3 the fist time and exhaust 3 on the second rotation. if switched this would leave me with a ton of threads on the  top of the intake on 3 and barely any on exhaust, looked wrong compared to all the others which have fairly even sized thread left on top. so is this order specific to each type of engine and if so does anyone know what order i should be going in on the j 15. I am putting truck in gear and rolling it to tdc then rolling it a full turn. it sounds pretty good though. any help is appreciated

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey "Dats Right", it's called growing pains and getting used to what you have. You will get it running! The only 4 cylinder engines that I really know that do not correspond to the "universal" firing order were the ancient Ford Model T "Police Interceptor" [not kidding there] and Fordson Tractor engines which were advertised as "even firing" 4 cylinders. They had an unique crankshaft. Today you will never run into one of these engines except maybe at an over priced auction in Scottsdale Arizona.

thanks sorry for my lack of knowledge but is the pushrod the side with the screw adjuster or the other side

On the side with the screw adjuster. You should see a bell shaped end on the pushrod where it contacts the rocker arm screw. Don't forget to lock down the jam nut when you have the correct spacing!

By the way, not to be insulting but others will read this, the rocker arm is set firmly on the push rod and the gap is set on the other end of the rocker arm and the valve stem. "Search" turn up lots of entries and I am trying to educate others that may not have your level of experience. Keep at it! You will get it running like a top.